Discuss Best Sockets for value and longevity? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Just wondering which sockets you guys tend to go for, your typical plastic units for internal no brushed steel effect types, as well as your external 1 and 2 gang 13 amp.

Based on price low to hi, brand perceived view (high quality through to Chinese crap) and ease of installation has good fittings etc

cheers hope your all having a quality weekend you bunch!

HW

I tend to use BG as a default, reasonably cheap and reasonable quality.
Then Click good quality and reasonable pricing and for the convenience of their interchangeable light switches.
Crabtree seem to be an OK brand but I do not use many of them
MK have good terminals but the rest is annoying and they are too costly.
Telco, Lap, knightsbridge, are ones to avoid for longevity but they are cheap.
Hager, contactum, Schneider all ones I just happen not use but would have no problem using.

We mostly use MK as this is specified by the University for replacement accessories, I've noticed on EICR that cheaper stuff does not stand the test of time.

We mostly use MK as this is specified by the University for replacement accessories, I've noticed on EICR that cheaper stuff does not stand the test of time.
I don't think so .mk have had they day. ok in hospitals etc. click curve are better and the price . and has for led dimmer switches they well behind the door when they came out .

Last edited:
I don't think so .mk have had they day. ok in hospitals etc. click curve better and the price . and has for led dimmer switches they well behind the door when they came out .
The MK range today is defenatly not as good as stuff they had in the 80s / 90s. Examples of cheaper makes not lasting - L'mark, volex, lyvia, Deta.

Hager just have the curves though between click and Hager I’m torn!

Yeah I agree, I think Hager look the best and never had a client that dislikes them. Click look pretty decent but look cheaper in my view, their range is excellent though. Schneider Lisse are ok but look like a poor man's Hager. I tend to stock Hager with some BG and MK thrown in to cover most bases. If my van was bigger I would likely keep a decent stock of Click too. It is very subjective but the fact that we are on here discussing it shows we give a hoot. There are plenty of fellow sparks out there that will happily fit marbo and lap all day long! Tin hat at the ready!

Yeah I agree, I think Hager look the best and never had a client that dislikes them. Click look pretty decent but look cheaper in my view, their range is excellent though. Schneider Lisse are ok but look like a poor man's Hager. I tend to stock Hager with some BG and MK thrown in to cover most bases. If my van was bigger I would likely keep a decent stock of Click too. It is very subjective but the fact that we are on here discussing it shows we give a hoot. There are plenty of fellow sparks out there that will happily fit marbo and lap all day long! Tin hat at the ready!

That just about sums it up . It's nice to be able to sleep at night.

Eaton Premera for me, cheap, feel good quality, slim, never had a dodgy one, cheap, round terminals, attractive, interchangable switch modules, full range of matching euromod accessories.
did I mention they're also pretty cheap?

The flank drive sockets from the 70s were superb, as was most of their stuff . The newer stuff does not seem to be the same quality. Most of the lads are buying Mac , lot cheaper and just as good .
I went on to Proto and Britool years ago for the same reason.

Actually bought my SnapOn tool chest from a Mac man.
Never wanted to buy SnapOn stuff, as I figured everyone had it.
A lot of Mac stuff is exactly the same as SnapOn, they both get it from the same manufacturer, just have their name put on the box.
When I started building my tool collection, SnapOn had the biggest range, even now, I doubt other manufacturers could supply some of the tools I have.
SnapOn's warranty is second to none.
Don't need a receipt, don't need to send the tool away to be checked, it just gets replaced.
Don't like SnapOn composite screwdrivers. The soft black parts absorb dirt, even after cleaning, your hands will get dirty if you pick one up.
There are some tools, I wouldn't bother buying from SnapOn, multimeters, electric drills etc.
I have some tools purchased direct from the manufacturers, rather than from SnapOn. Same quality, just no warranty.
There's also some tools that I use so rarely that I could never justify the expense of buying SnapOn.

Reply to Best Sockets for value and longevity? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net