Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Best value fused switch plus 2 module type 2 SPD? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 1Justin

1Justin Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    Has anyone done this yet on a budget?

I'm pricing a job to run a submain off a TN-S.
    I'll need a fused switch incorporating SPD alongside in the same enclosure. Price sensitive. Thinking of a budget Lewden off the shelf fused switch (in 4 module enclosure), ditching the enclosure and buying 6 module Lewden enclosure. That comes to about £80. (Maybe find the parts for less without ditching the 4 way encloure - TBD).
    Then adding in a BG brand Type 2, 2 module SPD CUSPD2110-01. - Still trying to get a price on the latter since no-one stocking them yet. (Alternatively Lewden do their own type 2 SPD 2 module SRG1V1G but it's coming out ~ £130, but that's from ripoff CEF, - so I could probably halve that price somewhere).

2. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Dont mix brands ;)

3. 1Justin

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    Why not, they don't share a busbar since cables will connect across, and that's the issue. (Din rail & busbar offsets, hence incorrect clamping with consumer units which is why I never do it). Most modules are adequately close re the front case openings.

4. suffolkspark

Well above all else it just looks **** imo whenthe manufacturer already offers off the shelf equivilents, shop around lewden or controlgeardirect stuff usually is scarily cheap

5. 1Justin

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    I think it's because SPD's are so new. Scarcely anyone listing them except the BG ones which can be got online now. But BG don't do a fuse switch for a submain AFAICT. It would be good if there was a "BIN" ready-made unit. Early days for SPD's still.

6. geordie

geordie Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    North Electrics Ltd
    I get my spd from sbs trade sales for a lot less then £130

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

SPDs have been around for a long time.

8. suffolkspark

£39.11 for a lewden/controlgeardirect one from Denmans

part no.SS40