Discuss Best way to add Garage circuits in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joeka101

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a keen DIYer (dangerous phrase - I know) but will NOT be doing this work myself and will be getting a local sparky (Part P etc) in. However I'd like some advice as I want to check its the best way of doing things.

I have a Tenby split load Consumer Unit (circa 2005) in the Garage with usual 100A main isolation switch, Non-RCD side and an 80A RCD protected side each having >4 unused ways. All inspected a couple of years ago and OK.
- Non-RCD side = 2 x 6A Lighting Circuits [Circa 1960 wiring so no earth wire and are on non-RCD side (I changed all light fittings etc for Class 2 double insulated and all switches have nylon screws)]
- RCD side = 2 x 32A Ring Main (1960s detached house not a mansion!) and 1 x 32A Cooker Radial

I am looking to add the following circuits in the Garage:
- 32A 2.5mm ring main (6 x double sockets) - to power 3 x Fridge / Freezers and occasional single power tool
- 2 x 32A 6mm radial circuits to 2 x Cooker Isolation switches used to feed my homebrew setup (2 x 5500W heating elements)
- 16A Radial / Ring main for an outdoor socket (would prefer not to have on same ring main as above due to load as all 3 freezers may go on at same time etc and outdoor socket is for charging an electric car so heavy load)

The electrician I had in was not keen on adding MCBs to RCD side, increasing RCD to 100A or using RCBOs non-RCD side so quoted for getting a separate garage consumer unit (to go next to the original) and splitting the feed from the main fuse.

The high power heating elements are only on for maximum 2 hours every few weeks and when I do this I switch all the fridge / freezers off.

What does the extra consumer unit add?
Are you within regs to add circuits to a consumer unit like I currently have (with non-earthed lighting etc)?

Thanks!

Joe

I would say the advice the spark has given you is what I would say.

Adding more MCB's to the RCD side of the board means that when the RCD trips ............. you will loose more circuits

Adding RCBO's is an option - if they are available from Tenby ..... not product line I'm familiar with

The non earthed lighting circuit is irrelevent IMHO

So adding a 2nd board, with RCBO's for each circuit will add a little to the costs but mean any 1 circuit tripping won't affect any other circuits

I would say consult a couple more sparks and make sure that they confirm in writing to you that they will provide an EIC and Part P certificate...

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. Point taken about RCD on existing board will trip all circuits if these are added on, however given that the heating elements are rarely used and I would be with them in the garage whilst in use (where the CU also is) this wouldn't be a big problem to me.

The Tenby CU has a mixture of legrand and MK MCBs (which is as we bought the house 5 years ago!) already.

I guess my question is if the combined load of Main and Garage CU can still only be 100A at once (I appreciate diversity but with 2 X 24A elements on the go, it's not beyond possibility), why not just add circuits to the existing CU (neater for my OCD!) or even replace it with a new dual 80A RCD one? (sparky implied they couldn't replace or "mess" with CU due to the non earthed lighting circuits being outdated - though I believe still acceptable).

I will check certificates, Part P etc.

Cheers.

If it was me I would check if the Legrand protective devices can be used in the Tenby consumer unit.
circuit for fridges/ freezers & power on non protected with RCBO s
RCBO non protected side 32A for each of the heating loads
An MCB circuit on RCD protected side for car charger/electric vehicle.

Reply to Best way to add Garage circuits in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net