Discuss Best way to mark battery gun in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, merry xmas.
I got a new makita battery gun for xmas and was wondering the best way to mark it? Quite a few guys on site have either the same drill or another makita tool which has the same batteries. I obviously want to keep my own drill and more importantly batteries, ive seen many a battery be swapped for a dud in the last few months.
Thanks

What Ammo does it fire then?? lol!!

Either by way of engraver machine or use a soldering iron with an old tip. Permanent marker aren't very permanent!! ...lol!!

I marked all the battery tools at work a few years ago using a "ball end" engraving tool in a dremel then black marker in the cut groove, has lasted well. As above mark tool, batts and charger.

> Spray it pink - no one will steal it then

+1

My first power drill had sat in the shop un-bought for a year because the "orange" was more pink (possibly it had sat in the window a while) and they finally marked it down to get it out. It is an awful color. I still have it 35 years later.

When batteries show up on a job, I quickly marker owner initials, "PR", "GH", "DS". Otherwise my new batts go home with George who leaves his old batts behind. (I also mark "Oct '12" on my new batts so I will know when they are getting old and I should let George walk-off with them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I engrave my tools and use a black marker to highlight my details, however it has never helped the Police recover my tools on the 3 occasions that my Van has been broken into!

Ive thought about designing a small lockable cage for a drill battery and charger, then going to dragons den with it :D

I had two chargers nicked off site this year, one was a 36v dewalt :(

Theres very little point in engraving because if some one wants it its not going to put them off nicking it. However i suppose it does avoid confusion over who's makita charger it is in the site hut.

Theres very little point in engraving because if some one wants it its not going to put them off nicking it. However i suppose it does avoid confusion over who's makita charger it is in the site hut.

Engraving only works when you catch them with your tools, once it has gone into a bag and in the back of a Van/Car then that's it gone......I have caught a few people stealing my tools over the last few years and it's almost always a worker that's on there for 1 or 2 days then gone, like painters, carpet fitters, people glazing windows etc....they think they can get away with it because they are in and out of the site, probably for beer money...they will have done it all over the place and will probably keep on doing it....

then you get screamed at wheres your ffin name on it then....at which point I go ....look at the bottom, its engraved on there and I can also see my special marks...and by the way I got given that from abroad and they don't even sell them here so don't try the "where's your name" on me...haha haha haha

its very cheap for RFID, was just thinking that about 20 minutes ago but didn't post on here...worth looking into am sure that the crooks would just remove them though.....and it would probably end up with some EU ruling about privacy or something resulting in getting sued...

then you get screamed at wheres your ffin name on it then....at which point I go ....look at the bottom, its engraved on there and I can also see my special marks...and by the way I got given that from abroad and they don't even sell them here so don't try the "where's your name" on me...haha haha haha

You have a conversation? The screaming bit I can understand, it's the bit where they can still talk which confuses me.

Reply to Best way to mark battery gun in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net