Discuss BG consumer units in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

I've got one in my home and was going to replace it for a new metal one
Looking around found
The BG consumer unit, I was looking at
95340: 20-Way Metal Consumer Unit & 100A Switch

figured be a direct swap as they looked a like
But turns out just the back is metal and the front is some plastic
What is the full requirements for Consumer units AMD3 for well less than 30 days away

Hi fella,if they are identical,what is your reason for wanting to swap? ...as far as i am aware,the IET has no plans,to convert old TV detector vans,to scan for pre-AMD3 compliant DBs' :joker:

I wanted to get Ready for Next Years NICEIC test, with the change of the consumer unit, and would sooner do it at home, and add on another circuit.

I did change the orienal one for just my first test that i passed, (that was because a RCD was built in to the main switch, so upset the 2nd DB i put in, Another story any way)

Just want to know what the SPECS for the CU for AMD3 are, because i brought this CU thinking it was full metal due to its wording to me, and found out it wasnt, so wasnt sure what the full scope of the needs for the AMD3 CU were

Just want to know what the SPECS for the CU for AMD3 are, because i brought this CU thinking it was full metal due to its wording to me, and found out it wasnt, so wasnt sure what the full scope of the needs for the AMD3 CU were

"be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12."

The suggestion in guidance note 5 is that the consumer unit if made of non combustible material should maintain that non combustible materiel as a complete envelope, also covering the circuit breakers/blanks.

I.e. the whole unit must be metal with a metal cover over the MCBs as well, including hinges and so forth..

Darth Vador, looking over you. All you can hear him Breathing and tuting ever now and then. Ready to kill you for any little error or twinkle in your eye, were he thinks you might be doing some ting wrong..

ALL THESE and OTHER THINGS running in your mind when you Pay a few £££ to some people to TEST you.

So why not RELAX in your own HOME with a Cup of Tea, and do up your own home as you sort out your tests.

You must have real bad assessor never ever felt under pressure at all
Mind you I have been assssed a few times over the years

I put myself under that pressure, i think of every thing that could go wrong, Ie Stopped telling people i ever worked for 'Big high street White Goods Company' as so many have been ripped off by them, feels like well now here is the chance to kick back at someone who used to work there.

Also I was born in Portsmouth and some people might class me as Scum, or upper class because of my accent or even cockney :(
Its not to give any one a edge to put me down, people judge you on your actions, looks and what you say without even thinking about it. I did have a BSM tutor who, well was sexest (wouldnt drive a 500CC car because the advert had a Woman driving them!) and had a word he used for his Brother in Law from Leicester.

At home because i know the area and can kick EVERYONE out for the day, i have images of being at someones house and them coming down in just there night ware or some guy coming down and scream there is not toilet roll!!

Guess its a Control over the area your in. Im not sure if its the Dyslexic thing (maybe in some forms) that i TRY and plan out how i talk to people and how a chat can go, what in the end can be very complex and you dont have a clue if you are saying the same thing twice to a person. (do try and not do that, just little area of questions I want to ask)

I've got one in my home and was going to replace it for a new metal one
Looking around found
The BG consumer unit, I was looking at
95340: 20-Way Metal Consumer Unit & 100A Switch

figured be a direct swap as they looked a like
But turns out just the back is metal and the front is some plastic
What is the full requirements for Consumer units AMD3 for well less than 30 days away

Getting back on track, think you'll find those CU are pre AMD3, bit like the MK Sentry range. AS the others have said, AMD3 would need metal back, cover & flap. Not sure BG have released a AMD3 one yet.

I like the aesthetic look of the MK model & Hager Design range.

The suggestion in guidance note 5 is that the consumer unit if made of non combustible material should maintain that non combustible materiel as a complete envelope, also covering the circuit breakers/blanks.

I.e. the whole unit must be metal with a metal cover over the MCBs as well, including hinges and so forth..

As above, plus the lid must close when subjected to gravity!

if the schneider easy 9 is an example of amd.3 boards, you can keep 'em. loads of room below where you don't need it, and cramped at the top. barely 1" above a RCBO FFS.

As far as I am aware yes. Think about it; what is the point of a metal enclosure to help contain a fire if the front flap can be left open exposing the plastic blanks and breakers, which would melt and allow for fire to 'escape' easily.

All the Amd3 boards I have seen have the un-proppable flap!

Last edited:
As far as I am aware yes. Think about it; what is the point of a metal enclosure to help contain a fire if the front flap can be left open exposing the plastic blanks and breakers, which would melt and allow for fire to 'escape' easily.

All the Amd3 boards I have seen have the un-proppable flap!

I can see your point but, as far as I'm aware, it's not a stated requirement for the lid to close under gravity.

I think the BG one has metal sprung catches which hold it closed (assuming that it's been closed in the first place).

Last edited:

Reply to BG consumer units in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net