Discuss BG consumer units in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've got one in my home and was going to replace it for a new metal one
Looking around found
The BG consumer unit, I was looking at
95340: 20-Way Metal Consumer Unit & 100A Switch

figured be a direct swap as they looked a like
But turns out just the back is metal and the front is some plastic
What is the full requirements for Consumer units AMD3 for well less than 30 days away

Duane, why change your board if there is not much wrong with the previous board. I am not sure if the first assessment requires very recent work. For my 1st assessment with NAPIT I used a board change I had done three years previously! Maybe niceic are different tho.

Must admit, never seen a part plastic part metal board as far as I know of. Ib personally like the new metal enclosures, find them easier to work with than the insulated ones.

it may be that the flap clips in place and needs a bit of a flick to get it to drop.

As above, plus the lid must close when subjected to gravity!
What a load of cobblers,the sort of misinformation that soon gets into every day sparking folklaw then gets written up by NICEIC as THE LAW.

Having spoken to the regional manager of BG at my local wholesaler last week on an open day come & see our wares type thing; I can pass on that BG have written confirmation from IET that there is no requirement for the front flap/lid to be hinged from the top.
They have conceded that there may be a requirement for the flap lid to hold in the shut position to complete & full metal faced enclosure. As has been stated BG achieve this by having retaining catches on the flap/lid when it is pushed shut where as others rely on gravity to drop the lid/flap.

What a load of cobblers,the sort of misinformation that soon gets into every day sparking folklaw then gets written up by NICEIC as THE LAW.

Having spoken to the regional manager of BG at my local wholesaler last week on an open day come & see our wares type thing; I can pass on that BG have written confirmation from IET that there is no requirement for the front flap/lid to be hinged from the top.
They have conceded that there may be a requirement for the flap lid to hold in the shut position to complete & full metal faced enclosure. As has been stated BG achieve this by having retaining catches on the flap/lid when it is pushed shut where as others rely on gravity to drop the lid/flap.
Can you post up a copy of the written confirmation from the IET

I wouldnt trust the word of a reptile on comission

I've fitted a few BG Amd3 boards, I don't particularly like the lid hinged at the bottom, but I use this one if I need the main switch on the right - mainly because it is reasonably priced (cheap). When mounted high up, it is sometimes a pain to try and see anything due to the lid being in the way, unless you get out a step ladder.

I used to use Wylex for a RH main switch, a nicer board, but their Amd-3 boards are a bit pricy for the moment.

And I use an MK one if I need the main switch on the left - which has a much nicer lid hinged at the top.

However, I have noticed some places selling "metal" consumer units that are old pre-Amd3, and forgetting to mention they don't comply from Jan-16, leaving unsuspecting customers to get caught out.

Yep I agree, cobblers it is in the sense there is no regulatory requirement. It comes under good practice in my view. Having thought about it where i heard it from was either general guidance from either NAPIT or one of the manufacturers (when Amd3 first came about).

Regarding the bit you say about the BG saying there may be a requirement is wrong though. In my view there is definately a requirement for the lid to hold in a shut position, otherwise the fire containment is not maintained. Wiring Matters article on this states the enclosure must form a complete envelope.

One reason I am not so keen on the bottom hinged BG CU, which I have only just become aware of, is Joe public could have a loose neutral tail causing RCD to trip. They may leave the flap down if the tripping is problematic for a few days before getting round to calling a spark. In the interim if a fire arose then the remaining steel enclosure is not much better than a chocolate teapot!

Having said all that, and despite my preference for steel CUs, I do not think insulated CUs should be effectively (for all intents and purposes) banned from domestic use.

One reason I am not so keen on the bottom hinged BG CU, which I have only just become aware of, is Joe public could have a loose neutral tail causing RCD to trip. They may leave the flap down if the tripping is problematic for a few days before getting round to calling a spark. In the interim if a fire arose then the remaining steel enclosure is not much better than a chocolate teapot!

and a cow could fly past the window and fart the lid open.

20-Way Metal Consumer Unit & 100A Switch | Domestic Consumer Units | NoLinkingToThis

it didnt have stock clearce when i brought it lol
metal back same plastic front

20-Way Metal Consumer Unit & 100A Switch | Domestic Consumer Units | NoLinkingToThis

it didnt have stock clearce when i brought it lol
metal back same plastic front

At least they note it doesn't comply with amendment 3 in the spec's......I wonder if all the large retailers (one in particular) will bother?
" Please note that this Metal Consumer Unit is not compliant to Amendment 3 -2015 of the IET Wiring Regulations"

Screwfix do seem now to be clearing out the non-Amd3 boards, sometimes at good prices for the internals.

For example, a few weeks ago, I bought a BG "12-Way Split Load Consumer Unit 80A RCD & 100A Switch" discounted down to £12. The housing itself is ----ed away, but the 80A RCD would have cost me £19 had I bought it on it's own.

Yep,they are wearing out the hinges on my letter-box,sending word of all these "bargains"...

I use them sparingly,since a batch of faulty LAP switched fused neon plates,which only functioned when bent or deformed...lad on the counter said "What are you telling me for? ...email someone who cares..."

...I even brought an AVO in,to the counter,to demonstrate the issue...might as well have been showing an I-pod to a seagull :icon9:

It's somewhat disheartening to see so many references to cost/price as the lowest common denominator over CU choice. There should be no need to buy materials at sheds. If you can't get good deals at the wholesalers you're not screwing them down on price hard enough.

Reply to BG consumer units in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net