Discuss BG Retractive Dimming Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

I have a customer who stated that she wanted retractive light switches installed before rewire started. They did not mention dimming retractive switches so I just thought they meant push on / push off retractive switches. The ones they want are BG Nexus. So anyway I roughed house out as normal JB system for lighting, dimmables LED GU10s to be installed throughout.

So house is now roughed out and today I visited to take a list of switches / sockets for fitting out. Then they mentioned that the retractive switches should be the type that the longer you hold them then the more dim the lights become. As far as I am aware the BG nexus retractive switches do not perform this action, would I not need some sort of control gear to achieve this?

Is there switches that perform this operation via standard wiring systems, by the way no neutral at switches as have wired via JB system.

Thanks for help

If the client wants something very specific and doesn't have a make and model in mind then maybe send them to a large lighting supplier to source their own equipment.

i have used hamilton remote dimmers with recitative switchs that behave the way you describe but i cannot remember the part no but you will need to get to the JB's to alter the connections there or if it is all led lighting you can get led drivers with 0~10v or refractive dimming built in you will need to again get to the JB's to alter the wiring both systems only need a single pair in parralel for swithcing

you can get bg dimmers which do dim as you hold them, the wiring is a little different if you intend to 2 way them though, they can fit in a grid system, get a decent depth back box

MDJ if only one way operation do these switches work with only the use of perm live and switched live, no neutral. Also is no additional control gear required?

Yeah you only need a feed and switch wire, I wish I had a link to them now, I fitted 12 in a grid in a house and they worked fine, but they do need a deep box, at least 35mm2 and set it back in the plaster a bit as well.

Reply to BG Retractive Dimming Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net