Discuss BG smart meter installation... thoughts please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went to look at a CU swap today and the customer expressed concerns over the connection of their garage distribution circuit. BG connected it back up recently after installing a smart meter. Now, it was originally connected in this fashion, but I was wanting some thoughts about the responsibilities involved in cases like this.

The red/black tails lead up to the consumer unit.
The blocks are fed directly from the meter.
The 10mm twin and earth is the garage supply.
The sheathing and gaffer tape were added by BG.

2018-06-06 15.19.14.jpg

bit of a bodge that. but they have sheathed the 10mm tails.

You are going to have the supply off either via isolator/seal fairy or dno so would putting a switched fuse in for the garage and tidying up the garage supply cables add too much to the job to make the customer turn down the extra work / the whole job down?

You are going to have the supply off either via isolator/seal fairy or dno so would putting a switched fuse in for the garage and tidying up the garage supply cables add too much to the job to make the customer turn down the extra work / the whole job down?

I'll be extending the cable in an enclosure and adding the circuit into the new CU.

10mm attached to DNO fuse - if they had to touch it they shouldn't have reconnected it, IMHO :)
This is what I was thinking.

Assuming there is a 60amp fuse in the head then that 10mm t&e does not have overload or fault protection for the length of run.
The meter guys are there only to change the meter so they can not just disconnect a unsuitable cable just in case it feeds a freezer etc blah blah blah but they should of advised the client of the poor install (but at least he tried to double insulate)

Assuming there is a 60amp fuse in the head then that 10mm t&e does not have overload or fault protection for the length of run.
The meter guys are there only to change the meter so they can not just disconnect a unsuitable cable just in case it feeds a freezer etc blah blah blah but they should of advised the client of the poor install (but at least he tried to double insulate)

Yes, this is the "grey" bit I was unsure about. They have left something potentially unsafe, but only connected what was already there in the same fashion. Customer was not informed that this needed altering.

I have been onto their technical chat tonight and they have told me to "relax" as their meters have overload protection in suitable for this purpose, but wouldn't say what form this takes.

Went to look at a CU swap today and the customer expressed concerns over the connection of their garage distribution circuit. BG connected it back up recently after installing a smart meter. Now, it was originally connected in this fashion, but I was wanting some thoughts about the responsibilities involved in cases like this.

The red/black tails lead up to the consumer unit.
The blocks are fed directly from the meter.
The 10mm twin and earth is the garage supply.
The sheathing and gaffer tape were added by BG.

View attachment 42655
A bodge up if ever I saw one, could have used heat shrink on that T and E

I'm surprised they did all that. If it was just remove old meter stick new meter in OK, but to fit all that new wiring and blocks, then to start putting tape and sleeving over the customers things. The tails are a mess couldn't they have dressed them a bit? I would would have said can't touch it.
There is some information about issues found when changing a meter to a smart meter, I got this from the Energy UK website, publications section.

Attachments

• GuidanceforElectricityandGasMeterInstallationCustomerFacingIssues.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Here is a small section from the above PDF:
B. Unsafe Situation – Able to Resolve – you must assess the risk and on the basis of the issue identified and be able to take appropriate action as identified in the relevant guidance sheet. Generally this may mean taking the following action:
 Correcting the defect and carrying on with the meter installation
 Isolating the problem by disconnecting or isolating an element of the consumers installation and then carrying on with the meter installation
 Fitting a double pole isolator and leaving all or part of the consumers installation disconnected.
In all circumstances, on completion of the meter installation, leave the consumer with a completed Customer Equipment Checklist (an example form can be found in Appendix 12 of MOCoPA®)

I would have done the second one. I would not consider the defect properly corrected.

Here is a small section from the above PDF:
B. Unsafe Situation – Able to Resolve – you must assess the risk and on the basis of the issue identified and be able to take appropriate action as identified in the relevant guidance sheet. Generally this may mean taking the following action:
 Correcting the defect and carrying on with the meter installation
 Isolating the problem by disconnecting or isolating an element of the consumers installation and then carrying on with the meter installation
 Fitting a double pole isolator and leaving all or part of the consumers installation disconnected.
In all circumstances, on completion of the meter installation, leave the consumer with a completed Customer Equipment Checklist (an example form can be found in Appendix 12 of MOCoPA®)

I would have done the second one. I would not consider the defect properly corrected.

I agree, if they are allowed to leave a section of the installation disconnected that is what should have happened in this case. I'll get back to them and see what they say.

And if the customer didn't agree to the section being left disconnected the meter change should have been aborted. But then BG do like to mess with the customers installations!
BG.JPG
Went to one where the meter fitter decided to connect a pair of tails that had been disconnected some time 10 years ago. They fed an economy 7 board that was removed when a gas boiler was fitted. Fortunately the now live bare tails in the under stairs cupboard had been previously wrapped in a plastic bag to stop them snagging the coats...

I thought they were usually quite picky and ---- about installation requirements, i think you should phone them up and report it. What you thinking? cut seals and place a KMF to reinstate some protection on that 10mm.

Reply to BG smart meter installation... thoughts please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net