Discuss "BIG GREEN BOOK" Latest edition BS 7671 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

PJK

-
Reaction score
I just had my annual NICEIC approved Contractor assessment yesterday. All went well I am glad to say. However the field engineer advised me that for next years assessment, in fact from Jan 2012, they will require contractors to have the new edition of BS7671. I protested as my BS7671 is only 12 months old and I was fully aware of the admendments etc., But the answer was no, I must get the latest edition. More expense!!!! around £65 or so.

Sad as it may seem how would you know your work is fully compliant with BS 7671:2008(2011) if you haven't got a copy?

Think if you ask your accountant you should be able to set it against company expenses and claim cost back.

Last edited:
Fair point. Of course I will get the book etc., Just felt it was more expense at a time when I could do without it. Ah well rant over.

Yes just got the new green book and new OSG in the past week, by the end of next year I might need another shelf in the bookcase !!!! at least that's not notifiable ( well not yet) !!!!

One thought on this matter ...why is the book so £$%^ expensive surely it should be priced at a tenner or so with the amount of copies they can sell ..Who makes the profit on this ?

Thinking this may be a bit sad but I got the new OSG yesterday and took it for light bed time reading!

IEE says the book run is small compared to domestic books but I think it is just they want more money, if they are short of money produce another amendment!
Hope you know the new GN8 is out in March!
Lets overload the bookshelves.

From previous experience how long till they produce an amended version that deals with all the cock ups in the new version, as I don't see the point in buying one now then in a couple of months time having to go through it and amend pages etc..

Possession of the current edition of BS 7671 has always been one of their requirements.
It takes a lot of man hours, tea and biscuits to create these documents, including harmonising with Europe's HD's.

As far as I'm concerned, I get value for money with BS 7671.

This week I've spent £80 on BS 7907:2011 and £130 on BS 8454:2006

My views on the whole regs situation is very strong.
I can totally understand that things change and we should strive to make things safer and keep the standards of our work high but why o why when they bring out a new amendment should i purchase a whole regs book for £60 when they don't re-write the whole regs!
The regs shouldn't be in book form but in a folder and when they amend a certain part of the regs you purchase that page or so, not £60 worth!!!!

Until we all stick together they'll continue to keep charging £60 and that's how it'll be for time to come!

Rant over.
:drunk:

However with this first amendment, you would end up throwing the old away and replacing it with the new. As very few pages in the red and green books are actually the same.

The actual body of the regs stays the same just re worded and jumbled around, obviously im not talking about the NEW chapters. They haven't started from scratch again after the red book.

I suppose we should be thankful that they haven't called it the "18th Edition" and forced everyone to take the exams again.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. New Regs books (for the self employed) are a business expense and I wonder if the tax man would allow it for employees too.

Worth a phone call to HMRC for those who are employed.

Reply to "BIG GREEN BOOK" Latest edition BS 7671 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net