Discuss Bit flummoxed as to what exactly to report/say on this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

This is fed in 2 core 4/6mm (not positive) SWA. No earth except a bit of 2.5mm (blue sheathed with earth) on pirhana nut to earth bus bar. An atrocious install technique all round. The landlord did it. Swearing heartily at the spark who did not finish the job. Wrong MCB for the 2.5 on two of them. All radials serving a kitchen (commercial) Was called to inspect (not EICR) to give an opinion on the state of the installation. No certificates by the Landlord or Electrician who put the supply in (of course) This type of wiring evident throughout by the way not just the kitchen I was looking in. I mean a Landlord who cannot and should not install electrics commisioning ccts with no tests. How may laws is he breaking. Where do I begin with the clients? I am speechless at the moment. Ideas? I just can't decide wtf to say to them. Did Zs and RCD tests all met regs, tested all the points. You can see 32a mcb on 2.5 and 6a on 2.5 supplying four double sockets feeding 2 x 2kw induction hobs, bain marie and so on. I'll stop there for now.

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

Who is the client I assume not the landlord
Nay it is the tenants, who just moved in to this kitchen. They have not asked for an EICR just a look over and advise them as to how to proceed. For that matter it could be an EICR is appropriate, and maybe I should suggest that. However they want the Landlord to pay. When I got there he was frothing at the mouth about the electrician who did not finish the job so he had to do it. He said he was going to see him right away and will probably be in prison this afternoon. Seemed quite angry, so I thought better soft pedal observations at the moment.

The O.P has been asked to give an opinion, not and EICR.

My opinion would be;
It's not good enough to be rated Substandard.
It's not worth wasting any time and money investigating it further.
The only thing that can be saved is the C.U.
It should be isolated immediately pending a complete new installation.

If there was an incident in the premises involving anything in the pictures and the person who did that work had to stand up in Court and defend their actions, they'd better pack a suitcase, cause they won't be coming home anytime soon.

You could undertake a visual inspection stating facts then leave them to it and don't become the man in the middle. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill and don't confuse poor workmanship with dangerous workmanship although there is evidence of both.

Nay it is the tenants, who just moved in to this kitchen. They have not asked for an EICR just a look over and advise them as to how to proceed. For that matter it could be an EICR is appropriate, and maybe I should suggest that. However they want the Landlord to pay. When I got there he was frothing at the mouth about the electrician who did not finish the job so he had to do it. He said he was going to see him right away and will probably be in prison this afternoon. Seemed quite angry, so I thought better soft pedal observations at the moment
yeah ,I can see that happening how much ,cheap job ,go ahead.

Apparently the electrician is NICEIC registered! So 2 core with the SWA terminated in the wrong gland, and blue 2.5mm to earth bus bar. No doubt approved!IMG_3739.JPG

@westward10 and @snowhead I think you both have made some good and helpful points there. It is/has help(ing)ed me with where I am going to go with this. I think issue a visual inspection notice with observations. The landlord wants to rectify any problems which is obviously not a good idea. We shall see how this all works out. Thanks once again.

Saw my own bodge today. A small shop with flats above. Plastic cu fitted within last few months. According to the property company the electrician said part p dont apply as its a shop and plastic ones are acceptable! Not with flats abo e it aint! So itsnow gone to the property management firms in house legal team to basically sue the so called approved contractor. Upside i get to replace it i was only going to give advice initially as i went to school with the guy.

Reply to Bit flummoxed as to what exactly to report/say on this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net