Discuss Bit of advice, does the wiring of these dimmer switches look ok to you? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I hope it's ok to ask, I just want to make sure I don't get the same electrician who wired the house to fix this if this doesn't look right.

We have a 3 gang and a 2 gang dimmer switch, on which the buttons are knackered on both. I thought I'd have a go at replacing them myself, but was not prepared for what was beneath the plates.

Apart from some snipped off cables, some cables with connectors on the end not used, I found that the 2 gang dimmer has 4 brown wires into one gang and 2 into the other. The 3 gang switch seems to be nearly all brown wires (although I can see some are chaining the gangs together). The two main power cables in have their earths joined it seems.

It maybe that this is all fine, but I wanted to check in case I get the same electrician. It looks like a mess to me, but I wouldn't know to be honest.

Thanks for your help.
Simon

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

IMG_5623.PNG

IMG_8904.JPG

Get an electrician in, that looks a right dogs dinner.

It's probably wired correctly, but needs tidying up. An those screw connector blocks are not supposed to be used unsupported like that. Not sure why they they used them seen as they heave used proper wagos elsewhere.

Edit: there's also a lot of exposed copper in those photos. Be very careful as it may well be live.

Often they haven't been hit with the neat stick enough during their training. Can only agree with @Rob. If you've got all the bits to hand that's a good start. There's folk here that are in your part of paradise :) .

Interesting - have you been changing light fittings and / or light bulb types?

EDIT: Lack of rubber grommets where the cables enter the metal box isn't a good sign either ........

AND those look like 25mm back boxes .......... so the dimmers probably got a bit hot!

No grommits in the cable entry holes.
Too much copper showing at terminals.
What are the white plastic shims for?

I am guessing there's bad blood between you and the electrician that put this in? Past experiences?

Interesting - have you been changing light fittings and / or light bulb types?

EDIT: Lack of rubber grommets where the cables enter the metal box isn't a good sign either ........

AND those look like 25mm back boxes .......... so the dimmers probably got a bit hot!

Right mess as Rob says . For what it takes to even clean a bit of debris from the boxes shows the standard.

Quite simply it's RAF and whoever did it should not be earning money as an electrician, but sadly this kind of 'workmanship'seems all too common these days.

I don't think those wago connectors have been around too long, a couple of years at most?

That's a lot of failed dimmer's within that period.

And as others have said, what a mess in those backboxes, really poorly done, and way too much exposed copper on show.

I hope it's ok to ask, I just want to make sure I don't get the same electrician who wired the house to fix this if this doesn't look right.

We have a 3 gang and a 2 gang dimmer switch, on which the buttons are knackered on both. I thought I'd have a go at replacing them myself, but was not prepared for what was beneath the plates.

Apart from some snipped off cables, some cables with connectors on the end not used, I found that the 2 gang dimmer has 4 brown wires into one gang and 2 into the other. The 3 gang switch seems to be nearly all brown wires (although I can see some are chaining the gangs together). The two main power cables in have their earths joined it seems.

It maybe that this is all fine, but I wanted to check in case I get the same electrician. It looks like a mess to me, but I wouldn't know to be honest.

Thanks for your help.
Simon

View attachment 42876

View attachment 42877

View attachment 42878

View attachment 42879

View attachment 42880

View attachment 42881

View attachment 42882
Are you sure the person that bodged that up is an Electrician? it's a kack job.

Thanks for your help.
Simon

View attachment 42876

View attachment 42877

View attachment 42878

View attachment 42879

View attachment 42880

View attachment 42881

View attachment 42882
Are you sure the person that bodged that up is an Electrician? it's a kack job.

We only moved in a couple of months ago. Those switches are on a recent extension that only got done a few years ago. Also our power keeps tripping, got an electrician to come check and apparently a lot of leakage. We found the hob was leaking 10 milliamps so I switch that off at the fuse box when we are out now otherwise we lose everything in the freezer. Getting worried that it's all been done like those switches now. Anyone local who wants to come have a look?

Reply to Bit of advice, does the wiring of these dimmer switches look ok to you? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net