Discuss bl***y washing machine engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
got called out this afternoon, lady had engineer out from manufacturers this morning to repair washing machine. He did the repair then got "some big" machine out and tested her sockets!!. He then advised her not to use the electrics in the house and gave her a note saying dont use until had repaired. His reason was that the earth loop was over 200ohms.
So gets the mft out and tries a Zs, was 141ohms. So opened up board to find no earth from DNO but system had earth, poked head out of front door, yes there it is TT, overhead cables. Checked Ze, was a bit high at 61, but within limits.
So because of this guys little knowledge and a big machine this lady had sat in dark cold house all day, fightened to touch anything!!

its got British Gas "customer appliance care service" written all over it lol.

some goon issues an electrical scare notice without the nous to acertain the supply / earthing characteristics.
i'm amazed a quote for new cu wasnt included. ;-)

even better was when she rang them to complain, I spoke to some guy on the phone who said "well if your an electrician and you say its ok I will stick a note on our system to say everything ok"!!

I had this at a house once i only went round to fit a light and the lovely old dear told me that earlier that day a GAS engineer was servicing the boiler and noticed that her fuse box was so out of date that it was very dangerous and could burst into flames at any moment and that he couldn't believe it had gone this long without that happening! She was terrified and turned almost everything off in the house, she then asked me for a quote to replace which after a few tests i told her there was no real need as it was a perfectly serviceable wylex with 3036's but if she really wanted it would be £320 including bonding! The charming GAS man said he could do it for £895 and that included a discount!! I don't know how they can quote like that and sleep at night!

I had this at a house once i only went round to fit a light and the lovely old dear told me that earlier that day a GAS engineer was servicing the boiler and noticed that her fuse box was so out of date that it was very dangerous and could burst into flames at any moment and that he couldn't believe it had gone this long without that happening! She was terrified and turned almost everything off in the house, she then asked me for a quote to replace which after a few tests i told her there was no real need as it was a perfectly serviceable wylex with 3036's but if she really wanted it would be £320 including bonding! The charming GAS man said he could do it for £895 and that included a discount!! I don't know how they can quote like that and sleep at night!

I think it's called "commission" :)

I get this a lot with BG guys who have a led Socket&See red fail green pass thats why he said over 200 ohms cos thats when he gets his red leds on

Absolutely disgusting and this is why they should not be allowed to cash in the name "British gas" they have done a similar thing to my Auntie until I reassured her.

Remember BG is owned by Centrica that in turn is owned by a private equity group and its pure sale most engineers are not happy being pressurised into sales but some take it on with relish like the one who visited me and started to tell me that my control were all wrong and I might need a pressure flush at £750 as funny enough this is not included on the contract I pointed out that I used to work for a Swiss HVAC controls company and then got a glass and bleed key to show him the state of the water in the system as it was clear a bell because it gets flushed out every 5 years and new additive by me

yes, with an R1+R2 of 80 ohms the washing machine man might have had a point! :lol:

householder needed to go out so going back in morning, need to check rod as couldnt find it, prob buried or under decking. will probably also find R1+R2 something to do with ring been extended for new kitchen or spurred off and I think it also snakes around house first anyway

My mate had dispute about a new dishwasher that was failing.they changed parts on each occasion, finally told him his dangerous electrics were the problem (42 ohms TT system with 30 m/amp rcd)

They even put their findings on paper,bless them
They did omit the words TT (I couldn't find reference anywhere on the piece of paper)

Was this just an oversight ?
icon6.png
they must realise such things exist
icon7.png
, they must know,surely lol
icon13.png

I`d agree a Ze of 61 on a TT is within regs ( rubbish IMHO but there you go) but a Zs of 141 gives a R1/R2 of 80 odd ohms. Thats not possible in a reasonable circuit. So given your own readings I`d say BG were right to flag it up even though they are about as incompetent as is possible.

I`d agree a Ze of 61 on a TT is within regs ( rubbish IMHO but there you go) but a Zs of 141 gives a R1/R2 of 80 odd ohms. Thats not possible in a reasonable circuit. So given your own readings I`d say BG were right to flag it up even though they are about as incompetent as is possible.

so this is a bg apprentice?

[video=youtube;8whQKK4Q-u8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8whQKK4Q-u8[/video]

Reply to bl***y washing machine engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net