Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Block of flats mains room location. in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm starting a block of 15 flats Wednesday, the building is being converted from an old care home. The original wooden staircase is staying in place throughout in the communal area. I've just received a revised set of drawings which shows the mains room mostly situated under the staircase leading to the 1st floor. I'm not entirely comfortable with this location due to the staircase being wooden. There isn't really any other suitable location big enough else where...The room will be pink fire boarded, fire doors and intumescent strips and also a smoke detector off the fire alarm system throughout. What's your thoughts? Would you be happy with the above setup?

2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Theres being happy and then complying with the regs...
    If it ticks all the boxes and you can show youve risk assessed or the developer has as required then what more can you do?
    Only other thing i can think of was when installing cctv in a converted old psychiatric hospital. They had similar. The bottom of the wooden stairs had metal sheet on them. Then fireboarded. The demarcation and distribution all went in there had all the electrics, comms and heating system. They effectively created a metal box. It also had a fire suprescant thing that if i recall correctly throws out smoke/spray foam to suppress any fire.
    Could be an option?

3. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Yes no problem with that..

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

It can be difficult if not impossible for historic buildings to meet all current requirements where material changes take place. Does the fire alarm system extend into the dwellings so if the detector is activated at the intake alarms are sounded in the dwellings.

5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I like the idea of creating a fire rated containment for your works. Maybe they should get a signed off design for it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I think the only thing I would be unhappy about with that arrangement is access and maintenance as well as installation. But firewise I expect local enforcing authorities may have some input on that. I might raise some mild objection as it is under the stairs and is the only escape route just for the record at least. I do find working understairs a good yoga exercise I expect the stairs are pretty large?

7. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    You could voice your concerns to the Site Supervisor / Site Agent, or whatever they are called these days, but ultimately the onus for safety lies with the designers of the building works.
    If they have carried out all the required RAs etc, and you do your electrical work to comply with all the fire Regs, and BS7671, you will have done your duty, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. essex

essex Forum Mentor

Fire compartmentalisation is outside your scope no? I would just make sure the builder is aware that all cable fire stopping is down to them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Leesparkykent

Yes mate the fire alarm has been specified as heat with sounder base in each flat, smokes, sounders and break glasses throughout communals and an AOV on top floor of the communal with yellow break glass and firemans override switch by the panel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leesparkykent

Yes you actually step down in to the cupboard under the stairs as the new floor is blocking up the entrance to the basement that's being closed off. Has to be big enough for the switch disconnector, head, ryefield, switch fuses, meters etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

I think its relatively easy to make it fire resistant long enough for 15 flats with just electrical gear in there, as long as they dont use it to store loads of other stuff, like paint, cleaning products, old bicycles, spare bog rolls, you get the picture... lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Wow that's quite astonishing. Would have been better all the gear in the basement. But even so surprised they did not fit another few flats in there, think of the money!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leesparkykent

It's tiny down there...I'm not exactly the tallest and I have to duck. The developers a sensible guy and I'm sure he's explored the options of digging it out etc and prob not cost effective.

• Like Like x 1