Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Blown dimmer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. baggy61

baggy61 Guest

Hi guys,
    New to this posting lark (not good at typing either) but to get up & running I got called to a house a few weeks ago, the dimmer on a cieling candalabra had blown. replaced it with 2g alto 250w dimmer . Got call today to say lamp in mathing wall light had gone,they replaced it but now that dimmer switch had stopped working I put a meter across terms & got 19v. (240 to earth).
    I replaced the switch again and it works fine. The lady mentioned that she had previously replaced the switch.Installation looks about 50 years old , signs of diy(checked tightness of terms in c.u & cooker earth hanging loose) I'm going back soon for EICR but would appreciate any ideas (voltage spikes ) perhaps.
    Its a TT system,retro fit mcbs & 30Ma rcd on incomings.
    Thanks in advance,
    Martin.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    a light bulb ( sod off lamp fanatics ) blowing sometimes will take a dimmer out with it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. baggy61

baggy61 Guest

Thanks Telectrics, do you think its possible three times ?

4. John Toomey

John Toomey Guest

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

5. Toonlad

Toonlad Electrician's Arms

Parrot..... you must be getting some internet lag

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Electrician's Arms

What makes you say that?

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

How many lamp bulbs in the fitting and of what rating?

• Like Like x 2
  8. baggy61

baggy61 Guest

Ceiling candalabra has 3x candle gls 40 or 60w then 3wall lights with 2 of the same on each.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

In which case I suspect the dimmer gave up the ghost. you need a dimmer with a greater capacity and maybe a deeper back box!

10. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Electrician's Arms

Today replaced a dimmer module - fed two lights that took a standard security light lamp (or bulb). Both had a 150w lamp in for ...well, 4 years since I put them there.

dimmer module rated at 400w.

blew lamp. Owner replaced lamp. Mcb tripped. Light doesnt work.

replaced dimmer module. Didnt check lamps (!).

Week later mcb trips again. Hmmm. Ask owner to check what is written on two lamps that they have replaced. One says 150w, one says 500w!

:)

11. baggy61

baggy61 Guest

Surely only 120 or 180 w on candalabra though 240 or 360 on wall lights. Back box has a spacer , but good point , thanks, I'll check what lamps are in there tomorrow. Seem to be looking for dimmers that work on tiny loads for LEDs probably overlooked the obvious. D 'oh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

Good at sums then, eh

• Like Like x 1
  13. baggy61

baggy61 Guest

12 fingers 12 toes simples:wink5:

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Toomey

John Toomey Guest

Its them evil candle lamps!! especially if they are mounted vertically. Sometimes when they blow the element falls across the support wires, cheap or even good quality lamps never blow their internal fuse quick enough so the short circuit current blows the dimmer first. I had a couple of chandeliers in a night club pulling a lot less than the dimmer ratings but was changing the dimmer modules, alto newlec or sector, even hamilton on a regular basis. In the end I fitted Lutron dimmers which have internal overloads which reset after such a occurance. Problem solved! They are around £60 tho, but for my customer with my extortionate hourly rate :) it was the best option. Spacer required tho!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Toomey

John Toomey Guest

Lamps glow bulbs grow, as they used to say at the East Midlands Electricity Board Concentration Camp!