Discuss Blown DNO fuse replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Being an electrician that provides a 24 hour emergency service I often come across blown DNO fuses. Currently I always call the DNO to carry out the replacement, but it would enable me to get customers back on supply much quicker if could legally replace the DNO fuse myself. Can anyone advise me on the legality of replacing the DNO fuses in this situation.

It's the DNO's property, as well as you taking on a liability by replacing a blown fuse when you don't necessarily know what caused it to let go. Frustrating, but my advice would be, don't do it.

As above, some of these cutouts may be in a bad way, I have had this before where I had emergency out and they turned up and wouldn't even touch the cutout as they were considered too dangerous to try open live... these things don't just give a little flash bang, dependant on network layout these things can go with more of an explosion.

I believe there is some area's of the country that the DNO allows a registered company to withdraw a fuse for a board change and notification but I believe you need to do an awareness course first, it might be Scotland where this scheme exists, I'm sure someone will clarify that although I believe your still not allowed to replace blown fuses as it can be down to faults in the cutout (loose terminations etc).

It is what it is, don't take on the possible liability and look more into the reasons why a cutout might be taken out due to the consumer side and advise accordingly.

This is what makes me laugh about the domestic sector. It's only a 80/100A fuse.

Nobody bats an eyelid at changing fuses in a factory/industrial environment.

I can confirm that some DNOs issue authorisations to allow contrctors to carry out various operations on their network. I deliver training courses in authorisations for a Scottish DNO. The course usually (assuming assessments are passed) gives a 'PS' (Personal Supervision) authorisation until the trainee is ready for full authorisation, at which point they arrange an interview with our Compliance personnel and, if successful, are granted authorisation.

The kind of guys I usually train are either metering staff with other DNOs or staff involved in operations suh as street lighting, traffic light works etc., who only need authorised to insert and withdraw fuses. I've just checked with our Compliance Manager and the kind of work you're talking about wouldn't be entertained. So, I'm afraid you're stuck with calling the DNO's emergency number unless the DNO in your area is willing to put you through authorisation. My instinct says it's unlikely, but you never know. Ask. The worst they can say is no.

Yes-ish, at least there you have control of, knowledge of, and ownership of the circuit upstream. With the cutout you don't, it's someone else's patch under the ESQCR, and what you do affects not only you but other customers whom the DNO have contractual obligations towards. Back in the day when my office used to be almost on top of our in-house 11kV sub, the panelboard feeding my desk sockets was as lively in terms of PSCC as any domestic service head, if not more so (I extended the submain a few feet to bring the sub DB under 10kA), so the hazard of working in the panel was just as great as fiddling with the bullet in my house. But it was our panel, on our sub, and in my house it's not.

As above, some of these cutouts may be in a bad way, I have had this before where I had emergency out and they turned up and wouldn't even touch the cutout as they were considered too dangerous to try open live... these things don't just give a little flash bang, dependant on network layout these things can go with more of an explosion.

I believe there is some area's of the country that the DNO allows a registered company to withdraw a fuse for a board change and notification but I believe you need to do an awareness course first, it might be Scotland where this scheme exists, I'm sure someone will clarify that although I believe your still not allowed to replace blown fuses as it can be down to faults in the cutout (loose terminations etc).

It is what it is, don't take on the possible liability and look more into the reasons why a cutout might be taken out due to the consumer side and advise accordingly.

Scottish and Southern Energy allow electricians to remove cut out fuses for routine work. You have to get labels from them and follow their procedure: https://www.ssepd.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=937

In the procedure it says "Under no circumstances are qualified electricians (whether or not members of a trade association) allowed to replace blown fuses or change the rating of fuses."

This is what makes me laugh about the domestic sector. It's only a 80/100A fuse.

It may 'only be an 80A fuse', but the prospective fault currents are obviously much higher and can still cause a nice big flash. Still need to be treated with respect. Daz

Withdrawing the fuse to work dead is an different matter, to replace an blown fuse don't do it, full ppe needs to be worn anyway when working on cut out, which I very much doubt you have.

It may 'only be an 80A fuse', but the prospective fault currents are obviously much higher and can still cause a nice big flash. Still need to be treated with respect. Daz

Obviously much higher than what?

Yes, treat with respect but it's not a big deal. Just test to make sure it's safe before re inserting the fuse.

Reply to Blown DNO fuse replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net