Discuss BMS engineering/commissioning in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adamcraven10

Hi all! I have been working in the BMS industry since I started and been talking to a few people on site, and was just wondering what views people had about an engineering/commissioning role, I have heard there is a lack of engineers recently and they earn good money. Is the pay as good as they say? Is there a lack of engineers? Any information on becoming a BMS engineer would be greatly appreciated. I am currently a qualified electrician and looking into future job opportunities.

Hi all! I have been working in the BMS industry since I started and been talking to a few people on site, and was just wondering what views people had about an engineering/commissioning role, I have heard there is a lack of engineers recently and they earn good money. Is the pay as good as they say? Is there a lack of engineers? Any information on becoming a BMS engineer would be greatly appreciated. I am currently a qualified electrician and looking into future job opportunities.

No idea about the lack of BMS commissioning Engineers or not in the UK, but if you want to further your status within this area of our industry, i would strongly suggest you contact CIBSE who will/can offer you all the guidance you need to achieve your goals... Top commissioning Engineers (of all disciplines) are always sort after, and as such, rates and/or salaries tend to reflect that need/quality...

I worked in this field for 25 years working with a Swiss controls company .So here is a history lesson for you when automatic HVAC controls came about it was clock/watchmakers who manufactured them hence why a lot of Swiss companies got involved they then moved on to electronic and Pnumatic controls then on to BMS or as the US says EMS you need to understand how alarm systems work and how to understand HVAC theory. Satchwell controls did a good book on them but getting a copy is hard as they are as rare as hens teeth and you aint getting mine. My background was I&C electrician then moved into alarms that helped me when I moved into BMS HVAC controls. You also need to understand electric motor control although admittatly some BMS firm have dumbed it down to only proving the input or output leaving someone else to figure out the chillers,boilers,AHU controls

Reply to BMS engineering/commissioning in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net