Discuss Bmw 520d -engine malfunction - car died. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need advice / help guys I'm located in Glasgow

I have an 08 plate e60, 520 diesel m sport manual , driving on motorway yest in traffic and heard a noise sounding like a fan belt from under bonnet (high pitched)) Drove a further 2 miles and my display showed up engine malfunction and car lost power . I pulled into hard shoulder, car cutt off and failed to start

The display went , car charger blew - 911 recovery put diagnostic and threw up egr valve. -- Garage put it on there's and showing low fuel pressure code They started it using the start stuff but obviously no revs

Anyone got any experience or can help been told could be fuel relay, Solanoid or high pressure fuel pump

Garage initially thought was chain jumping but I know defo not that

I feel issue more electrical than mechanical any ideas on past experience. ???

Thanks in advance

Need advice / help guys I'm located in Glasgow

I have an 08 plate e60, 520 diesel m sport manual , driving on motorway yest in traffic and heard a noise sounding like a fan belt from under bonnet (high pitched)) Drove a further 2 miles and my display showed up engine malfunction and car lost power . I pulled into hard shoulder, car cutt off and failed to start

The display went , car charger blew - 911 recovery put diagnostic and threw up egr valve. -- Garage put it on there's and showing low fuel pressure code They started it using the start stuff but obviously no revs

Anyone got any experience or can help been told could be fuel relay, Solanoid or high pressure fuel pump

Garage initially thought was chain jumping but I know defo not that

I feel issue more electrical than mechanical any ideas on past experience. ???

Thanks in advance
Do you mean the alternator stopped working
The codes that show up do not always refer to that component has failed. The ECU will put the car into limp mode to avoid further damage. The faults are usually cumulative and can be misleading.
It is the mechanical noise that concerns me. Was there any visible mechanical damage?
Starting with easy start is bad practice and can lead to more damage , even hydraulicing unless you know what you are doing.

Was the sound a "whistling" sound that you heard.

2007 to 2009 cars have an issue where the timing chain can stretch and snap if its the N47 engine, pray. Do you have iDrive as you can get bad earths from the rear light clusters causing issues.

What sort of mileage do you do?

Hi guys ,no the cars not I drive the noise sounded like when a car overheats and the fan kicks in was high pitched The aux belts are intact. With regards to timing chain nothing jumped was just like a drone under the bonnet prior to the fault and going into Limp

There are loads of electrical problems that will cause the car not to start , As @Strima has mentioned , and where I was heading the battery voltage is critical for the ECU to function . Too high or to low it will switch off .
Your garage should of been able to diagnose a relay problem easily.
High pressure fuel pump faiure is possible with contaminated or doctored fuel.
As I said earlier ,there are many cumulative faults that will cause the car to go into limp mode, the noise is the suspicious part , failed sensors or relays do not do that, unless a relay continually clicks.
The alternator may me goosed and causing problems, especiall if it is a smart alternator.
It is hard to try and diagnose this given the information you have had and them not been able to fix it!

Last edited:
Good .
The EGR code could be caused by the exhaust system or sensors and all the other eco filters on it too . Unless they have good interrogating equipment it is a minefield.

bloody nightmare these ecu driven cars. if it can't be fixed with a hammer or monkey wrench, it has no business being on/in the vehicle.

Ok the fuel is getting thru primary pump but not going thru high pressure pump. Garage saying that they are sure in this model the timing chain/ pump is at back of the car which means a major strip out.

All codes are clear

Any sensible advice/ help appreciated

Ok the fuel is getting thru primary pump but not going thru high pressure pump. Garage saying that they are sure in this model the timing chain/ pump is at back of the car which means a major strip out.

All codes are clear

Any sensible advice/ help appreciated

took it to an auto electrical as person we were taking it to did not have room for a non runner. Bosch code 483D throttle activator is throwing up didn't help batt flat and neeed booster on it so left it. Think they are going to check everything only put it on quickly as we had it on a truck and wanted to see if anything obvious

Reply to Bmw 520d -engine malfunction - car died. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net