Discuss board change prerequisite in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically, someone in my family needs a new board ideally and I was wondering, as im not registered with nic, nappit etc am I in a position to change this board and sign it without having to pay a crap load of money to labc. or would to change it and test it but not sign it be a definitive no-no?

Would be doing it as a favour to them as they are 7months pregant and havent got a load of money to spend

it is iligal if you dont notify labc or get a part p sparks to do it. however if you have done the job correctly/ tested properly its the same outcome. ask your friends if they mind.
i myself would comply with part p.

In order to comply with Part P of the Buildings Regulations, the work has to be notified.
This can be done by pre-notifying to the LABC, or by employing an Electrician registered with a Self Certification/Competent Persons scheme.
There is an option to notify after the event, but this is usually more expensive

ok thanks, this is as I thought. If I undertook the works and tested it, what is the limitation to the timeframe of someone else coming to sign it off, as in could they come a week after it was done?

ok thanks, this is as I thought. If I undertook the works and tested it, what is the limitation to the timeframe of someone else coming to sign it off, as in could they come a week after it was done?

Nobody else is allowed to sign it off as it is your work. If you are going to break the law though, it's up to you how long you wait before asking someone else to notify and say that they did it.
For us part P guys, we must notify within 30 days of completing a job.

7 months pregant now and no money, then come to sell house in a few years and its pulled, then the buyer want a EICR done and will cost more, so in the long run they will probably end up paying it.

If my missus is ever 7 month preggers, I might send here into the local VW dealer and see if she can get a cheap transporter for me

Bottom line is that you need to inform BC, one way or another. If you really want to 'do them a favour' then this is the only way, otherwise you ain't doing anyone any favours, including yourself.

Ultinator, you have asked several questions regarding CU changes and required qualifications recently. Can I suggest that you get yourself a copy of the Electricians guide to the building regs, along with the BGB and the on-site guide, if you don't already have them. It's great to be able to ask for help on the forum, but you seem to be someone carrying out electrical work, without really being sure what you are legally permitted to do. Telling us that it's a family member who's 7 months pregnant won't change the advice we are able to give you. All the best.

Or they could go down to a big DIY shed and buy a new fuseboard because the notification police wont be around anytime soon plus if they sell up in 10 years the buyer or BC is not going to complain that there is a safer fuseboard fitted ie RCD protection.

Or maybe fuseboards have dates on them so that the notification police can then spend thousands prosecuting you as they have nothing better to do.

So am I being cynical or is it a nightmare that I am going to wake up from

Or maybe fuseboards have dates on them so that the notification police can then spend thousands prosecuting you as they have nothing better to do.
An approximate manufacturing date (or even an exact one) would be traceable from the serial number on the CU but can you honestly see the authorities using that as a stick to beat someone with? The have neither the time, money or inclination to.

An approximate manufacturing date (or even an exact one) would be traceable from the serial number on the CU but can you honestly see the authorities using that as a stick to beat someone with? The have neither the time, money or inclination to.

Trev are you saying Part P is not workable ? better not tell the Schemies as their livelyhood depends on giving the impression that it does work maybe thats why they are going to try to relaunch it as the have told the commons committee that it is ok and it just needs more promotion within the the media in other words spin.

So here is a scenario for you a guy who is 60 gets a new CU fitted and dies 18 years later his family sell the house but the Notification police swing into action saying wait this man broke the law he never told us so we are going to prosecute his estate as a lesson to everyone not to mess with us or will it be quitely ignored because the Schemie thing is not enforceable by law mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As we all know, Part P is enforceable but it rarely if ever is.
Technically the scenario you gave should result in a prosecution of the guy's estate but once again, can you see that happening?

So here is a scenario for you a guy who is 60 gets a new CU fitted and dies 18 years later his family sell the house but the Notification police swing into action saying wait this man broke the law he never told us so we are going to prosecute his estate as a lesson to everyone not to mess with us or will it be quitely ignored because the Schemie thing is not enforceable by law

Wouldn't work, 12 months after fitting you can no longer prosecute under the building regs, so all null and void!

Wouldn't work, 12 months after fitting you can no longer prosecute under the building regs, so all null and void!
So if the Notification Police kick down the door 6 months after you have changed it all you need is a label on the board saying installation date 18 months previously .

Yet again the Schemies want electricians to play cricket as it were so to keep them in a job and money for a system that is in all but name a self regulation system ie we are doing away with HMRC and you will now be your own tax collector

So if the Notification Police kick down the door 6 months after you have changed it all you need is a label on the board saying installation date 18 months previously .

I am generalising a bit too much. after 12 months they can no longer ask for the work to be removed or modified on the lack of planning application/self certification side but they can still respond in certain ways if the work is dangerous, I think!

To my mind, we can only offer advice on how work can be conducted in a manner that 'legally' complies with all the relevant Regulations.
If someone wants to act illegally, that's their choice.

if you have the knowledge and skill and its improving the safety then its up to you. The only ever come back is if someone got killed injured from install. It ant going to come back on a house sale. You just have to tick box has any changes been made in. last five years. At end of day it ant that hard that is why so many people can get in on it in like 5 Weeks. you try doing that being a chippy. You wouldn't last 5min.

Cornish small man.

To my mind, we can only offer advice on how work can be conducted in a manner that 'legally' complies with all the relevant Regulations.
If someone wants to act illegally, that's their choice.

Exactly my sentiments. We can only advise on a public forum in ways which comply with the law as it stands.

if you have the knowledge and skill and its improving the safety then its up to you. The only ever come back is if someone got killed injured from install. It ant going to come back on a house sale. You just have to tick box has any changes been made in. last five years. At end of day it ant that hard that is why so many people can get in on it in like 5 Weeks. you try doing that being a chippy. You wouldn't last 5min.

Cornish small man.

Sorry mate, are you saying that being an electrician isn't hard, or simply the ticking a box part?

Reply to board change prerequisite in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock