Discuss Boiler Fused Connection Unit location in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to wire a new system boiler, the obvious place to put the supply is with the control unit which powers the boiler. But should the FCU be next to the boiler in the same way any isolation switch would be located close the load. This would still power control unit, but also need cable coming back to boiler which would not be ideal. But then you could argue FCU is no longer local to pump/valves etc.
I can't see anything in OSG about this?

where does the supply come in. to the boiler or to the controller?

FCU by controller then, as long as it kills the supply to the boiler as well. label on boiler to indicate the location of the FCU.

New install the SFCU normally goes next to the boiler. If you install it in the cylinder cupboard then ideally the boiler would have an isolator installed adjacent. If the boiler require LNE and switched live then you would need a triple pole switch/fan isolator next to the boiler. Most new builds are specified SFCU next to boiler with programmer in that location as well.

Does it depend on boiler type, for combi I would agree, but in this instance it's a system boiler so have controller next to cylinder, so as mentioned above it seems to make more sense to have with controller.

I would say it should be either near the boiler OR near the controller.

As far as I know there are no regulations that say where it must be

Common sense would suggest if there's no isolation at the boiler then the isolation is with the valve controls up in the airing cupboard

Surely any spark would check this and prove dead?

As I said In most newbuilds with a fully pumped system (boiler, cylinder, S-plan, y-plan etc) the SFCU is next to the boiler and the two channel programmer for heating and hot water is normally located next to the boiler. Programmers are normally located in airing cupboards on retrofit systems due to ease. Any system from scratch I would locate the SFCU next to the boiler rather than the cylinder cupboard. I believe gas safe require an isolator next to the boiler. So if you install the SFCU remote from the boiler then you should install an additional isolator next to the boiler...which you wouldn't need if you installed the SFCU next to the boiler.

Reply to Boiler Fused Connection Unit location in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net