Discuss Boiler Fused Connection Unit location in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

As I said In most newbuilds with a fully pumped system (boiler, cylinder, S-plan, y-plan etc) the SFCU is next to the boiler and the two channel programmer for heating and hot water is normally located next to the boiler. Programmers are normally located in airing cupboards on retrofit systems due to ease. Any system from scratch I would locate the SFCU next to the boiler rather than the cylinder cupboard. I believe gas safe require an isolator next to the boiler. So if you install the SFCU remote from the boiler then you should install an additional isolator next to the boiler...which you wouldn't need if you installed the SFCU next to the boiler.

My boiler, cyclinder / tank , wiring centre and fcu are in the airing cupboard ....

when we was doing energy company obligation work/eaga work many moons ago they didn't mind the SFCU in the airing cupboard but was also specified that if that was the case then an isolator was also needed next to the boiler. I've always thought this could of been something to do with gas safe.

Modern boilers sometimes require that the feed go to the boiler first, and the rest of the control system be powered from the boiler. This ensures that if the fuse in the boiler blows the whole circuit including switched live to the boiler goes off.

So checking the manufacturers instructions for the boiler would be a good place to start.
asking the plumber is less likely to get you the right answer as they rarely know, or care, about the electrics.

The FCU is for the safe isolation of the system, generally for maintenance. Us 'very intelligent electricians', having need to carry out maintenance on any part of the system, would know how to safely isolate the system and verify that. A Gas Safe engineer carrying out the annual service on the boiler, is of course not as intelligent as us electricians :rolleyes:, so having the FCU next to the boiler would seem more appropriate, as that seems to form the heart of the system as a whole and in the control of the engineer IMO. Of course you could have the FCU elsewhere, but if you didn't want some numpty, replacing the fuse in your remote FCU and switching on, while you're fiddling around inside the boiler, then its best to have it local to the boiler.

I note some boilers manufacturers, have the supplier into the boiler, then an outgoing feed to controls, with a switching wire back into the boiler. So would be easier to have FCU next to boiler anyhows :)

Does it depend on boiler type, for combi I would agree, but in this instance it's a system boiler so have controller next to cylinder, so as mentioned above it seems to make more sense to have with controller.
And as Lee posted install a plain three pole isolator labelled up boiler adjacent to it.

the FCU should be inside the flue, same as the stupid kitchen fitters insist on with cooker hood isolators/FCUs. hidden out of sight so it does not detract from mrs. bloggs's shiny new kitchen.:D

Reply to Boiler Fused Connection Unit location in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net