Discuss BOILER SERVICING -- Cleaning. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Chris,
Yes it was a recent conversation with a Gas service engineer, and it was in the context of a discussion about the servicing of my boiler. I can't quote him verbatim, but what you have written -- -- and I paraphrase, is just about what he told me.

" -- if the Gas Engineer was not inclined to actually open the Combustion Chamber to inspect the Burner / Heat Exchanger etc. - could be `Legally adhered to` by using a Combustion Analyser / Flue Gas Analyser - " ---- " If everything else about the Boiler Installation was correct - and if the Analyser readings obtained showed that the Boiler`s Combustion was within the correct parameters and the Boiler was operating Safely ".

I said I am paying for a service not just a safety check, and he said that was what I have been getting. It doesn't have to include all the items if there is no reason to suspect that other checks need to be made. Or words to that effect.

I've checked again to see what the terms and conditions say. They say "clean as 'necessary' --- ". So that leaves it up to the opinion of the visiting engineer. And it says if the FGA fails, then additional actions should be carried to according to manufacturers instructions. As they do not say specifically that they service the boiler according to the manufacturers instructions, it seems that my ignorance of exactly what they are contracted to, means I don't have a case to argue. But I do know now, and I won't be caught again.

No unfortunately I don't have photographs of my boiler internals, and as you say, unless I pay another firm of gas engineers to inspect my boiler and take the covers off, I can't get them. But it is something I may think about in light of all this. However, even if I did get someone else in to enable me to look and take pictures, and there was a degree of dust and dirt in the combustion chamber, it could still be argued as per the terms and conditions above, that it wasn't significant, and so not 'necessary' to clean it out, as long as it is deemed safe. So I'd just be wasting my money. However at the next service, I will make sure I'm there and that the covers are taken off for me to see the insides -- with a camera.

As you say, all this does indeed give a poor image of boiler servicing. But sadly that's how many sectors are today. Everything from poor gardening services to gas servicing. It's no wonder TV companies can make programes entitled "Rip off Britain". And no doubt it's unfair and makes life hard for those gas engineers who all get tarred by the same brush, even when they themselves do provide a thorough good value service.

As you say, it does seem to depend on who you get, but this baffles me. I find it difficult to understand why the definition of a boiler service can be so vague.

Hello again
I have uploaded one of the inspection and maintenance sheets from Vaillant for you to read. This is an example of the servicing procedure Chris has mentioned. This is for a modern Boiler. I am just giving an example to help you understand. In a case like yours, I would always do the full service and check the Burner and heat exchanger, cleaning them if necessary.

Those are the steps that the manufacturer (of Vaillant), obviously want an Engineer to carry out regularly. Other Manufacturers will have a similar set of requests/instructions.

There are other things that go hand in hand with this of course. For example, I personally always do a let-by and tightness test at the Meter before and after commencing work on any gas appliance or (domestic), installation along with recording the Working pressure at the meter and the appliance, for various reasons.

If you read this, you will understand why I mentioned the time involved and see why you cannot do this in 10 minutes.

Others will disagree with my opinion but I feel that if a customer is paying for a 'service' then they should get what they are paying for.

If I took my van in for a 'service' and they tested the emissions and gave it back, I would be annoyed.

Attachments

• Vaillant.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello again Peter,

I would be interested in seeing Photos of your Boiler`s Combustion Chamber etc. if you could remember to come back to this thread in the future when your Boiler is Serviced.

As it is 20 years old seeing inside the chamber / how clean [or otherwise] it was should give Us some indication of whether it had a `decent Service including cleaning` when the last one was done.

Perhaps You could keep one of the Forum reply notification Emails and use the Link to come back to the thread and post some Photos.

It would be good to `Update` the discussion.

Hopefully the Boiler will not be `Dirty` inside the Combustion chamber - but if it is the Photos would be good to reinforce the often disgraceful situation about `Boiler Servicing` that we have been corresponding about on here.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
You are a gas safe engineer or what? I really have confusion with you.

Hello Jane Carter,

What is it about my detailed messages about Servicing Gas Appliances that makes You confused as to whether I am a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer ?

Have You seen my details at the bottom of every one of my messages:

`HEATING ENGINEER - PLUMBER - REGISTERED GAS ENGINEER / HEATING, PLUMBING & GAS CONTRACTOR`

Chris

Reply to BOILER SERVICING -- Cleaning. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock