Discuss Boiler wiring training in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Is there anywhere you can recommend that does boiler wiring training or is a case of swatting up on the various diagrams and figuring it out for yourself?

I only have 3months post apprenticeship experience but would like to know about boiler wiring.

print yourself a set of drawings and then colour them in to match the wires on the valves etc,it soon sinks in then when you can actually see what goes where.

Do a search on the Honeywell site, they've an excellent resources section with various diagrams of common configurations. I've got a whole set printed, laminated and bound which lives in the van - it's normally the first step in that "what the chuff has gone on here?" process when trying to rework a plumbers attempt!!

When I wanted to learn, I got the manufacturers instructions together for the various components and then drew it out on a sheet of paper with a terminal strip running across the middle and the valve, pump etc above and below it. I also put on the wiring that we installed and the core colours to be used.

As others have said, it soon sinks in when you've done a few, but the reference sheets will give you confidence to get started.

Honeywell do (or did) a one day course covering the various wiring options, plus some practical sessions as well. You also get good course notes and their wiring guide booklet which is excellent. Not sure of the cost but I think it really just paid for the room and lunch - so well worth it if there is one close to you. They also have couple of Apps that you can download, again covering the wiring diagrams etc.

Learn and understand the logic behind the controls rather than just the wiring diagrams for the basic systems.

Half the systems I have to fault find or adapt for new boilers are not wired according to the standard diagrams.

do you know of anywhere that does a more in depth training of heating systems in their entirety dave? without doing an hvac course that is

do you know of anywhere that does a more in depth training of heating systems in their entirety dave? without doing an hvac course that is
For domestic, it's just a case of understanding the layout of the heating and hot water pipework and which route the water will be pumped round depending on the position of the valve(s).

Start by researching "Y Plan" heating. Look at each component and ask yourself why it is there. You can buy building services books, but these days it can all be found online.

There is no course for this kind of thing, the only way to learn is by working alongside experienced tradesmen and taking the time to understand the whole system, not just connecting up and leaving.

For example yesterday I was working with a plumber friend to fix a heating system which was not working.
4 others had previously attempted to fix it by randomly replacing components and altering various pipework because it didn't conform to the textbook diagrams. None of this fixed it.
Between us we replaced the blocked heat exchanger in the boiler and then spent ages coaxing all of the air locks out of the pipework, then hey-presto the heating gets hot for the first time since the guy bought the house.

yeah fair enough, thanks for the reply. The problem i have is the gap between first wiring them up - doing floor fitting - back to wiring heating systems and now theres all this new fandangled weather compensation, volt free switching, pre heat etc etc and the bloody boilers that like trying to solve a rubix cube to get to the terminals/install programmer etc and most information i can find is just the generic old honeywell y-plan s-plan stuff. i'm getting there anyway and not had many problems so far :)

Volt free switching has been around since the year dot, it's just a relay!

As for everything else just read the instructions that come with the equipment, there will be a wiring diagram.

I didn't learn anything about S or Y plans when I was training, I was taught how each valve works and how the controls to and from them should work.

It was only once I joined this forum that I picked up what all these different letters mean.

There's a place in Milton Keynes or Bedford called Mr Combi that does courses videos etc meant to be good
Haven't been myself but a lad I worked with gave me the recommendation and I saw something about them in professional electrician a couple if months ago ...

Reply to Boiler wiring training in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net