Discuss Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If I remember what they said it was you should only drill the web of the I beam and only within the centre third of the width leaving the outer thirds well alone, if you follow this then it will have no detriment to the structural integrity of the beam. if the hole is sizable or strays into the outer third on either side then a structural assessment should be made. The Irony here is wood is 10times weaker than steel and if we were so red-taped with H&S with wood as we are with steel then we would be requiring a structural Engineers evaluation and permision everytime we drill a wooden joist in a typical house.

Why didn’t state that proviso in the first place.

You stated you regularly drilled RSJ’s and no one should worry about it.

Unless there is torsional or transverse stress the centre of the web is reasonably safe.

We have drilled holes in beams before but depending on their thickness it's not easy unless you have a mag-mount drill. It would be advisable to get the go ahead from the structural engineer on site if there is one. We also have a portable spot welder in the workshop that can spot weld up to a 10mm stud onto a plate or beam, if there were multiple studs required this would be the quicker option.

Why didn’t state that proviso in the first place.

You stated you regularly drilled RSJ’s and no one should worry about it.

Unless there is torsional or transverse stress the centre of the web is reasonably safe.

Yes maybe would have been wise tbh it may have helped but reacted to the blanket ban on attitude some hold where in fact its not the case .... point noted Tony

Huh, the times i've gone to our Project Structural Engineers to get permission to drill steel I and H beams etc, NEVER been refused yet!! In fact most of them just laugh at you when you ask to drill a 14mm hole in steelwork, whether it's for a nut and bolt or a tapped bolt connection.

I did qualify my post by saying reasonably safe.

I still wouldn’t drill a beam, I would much rather weld a stud on.

Tony you have missed out on the joys of the modern building site!
I have to get a hot works permit to use a soldering iron, what chance is there of being allowed to weld anything!

Tony you have missed out on the joys of the modern building site!
I have to get a hot works permit to use a soldering iron, what chance is there of being allowed to weld anything!

I’d rather go through the rigmarole of getting a permit than drill a beam. Added to which while I’m sorting a permit out I’m doing nothing else, I still got paid.

Normally a 12mm stud would be welded near a cable run at various points in the building during construction.

a plumber hasn' t got the brains to refit a BS951 after altering pipework. how's he going to cope with a welder?

Regarding the welding of structural as I recall you need to be fully competent in welding to structural work as a poor weld or even an incorrectly position weld can weaken the metal ... it also applies when cutting off unused sections with the old acetylene set-up ... if the metal heats up too much it can do alot of damage to its integrity.
Its sometimes the better option to drill but has others have pointed out - if in doubt get a Structural Engineer in.

Darkwood step away from the Drill

maxresdefault.jpg

I drilled and tapped an 8mm hole in the steelwork of an industrial warehouse unit a few years ago.

The building was built in the 1940's as a munitions factory. Seeing as it was built to stand up to the Dorniers, Heinkels and Junkers it didn't worry me a great deal, to be truthful.

LOL ... joking aside if any 'I' steels are under so much stress you can't pop a <10mm hole in the centre third of the web then you really want to be getting out of the building, older builds are massively over compensated for their structural integrity but the new architech flamboyant designs that are cost cutting at every corner that you should think twice about.

Oh and those sweat shops that are built on a shoestring and always keep falling down because they add extra floors without assessment.

Which is all well and good until the next person comes along and just pops another 10mm hole through.
It is safer to forbid the practice.

One of the joys of working for multinationals is if I needed a structural engineer I only had to make a phone call.

A bit on the expensive side for a few studs but a nice idea.

As I said I’d get one of the welders to attach 12mm bolts to the inside of the web where it’s out of harms way. These bolts would be positioned on the stanchions where there was to be cable ladders attached.

Reply to Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net