Discuss Bonding flush metal ko boxes + plastic sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

15amp+radial

I have always taken the ring cpc to the earth terminal(s) on a plastic socket and a single bond of same csa to the earth terminal of the metal box. The reason I was told necessary to do this was incase a line conductor jumped out of the rear socket terminal or indeed a conductor damaged by metalwork caused the box to become live and due to faulty or rusty screws, the bond between the metal box and socket failed thus preventing disconnection with a potentially live flush box undetected.

Someone has said this is not necessary anymore....any thoughts!

Yup, the general consensus is that if there is one fixed lug on the backbox, then once tightened up the backbox will get its earth through the screws and the earth strap that is a part of the construction of the socket front.

Older sparks will still do this, and others find it pointless. There isn't a specific reg saying you should, its just done. I personally think for the time it takes to do its worth doing. Obvioulsy you shouldn't take a socket front off live, but we all do it, and if you adopt this method of earthing the back box, it's still earthed when the screws are removed.

I believe its the good old NIC that decided that if one fixed lug is present then no cpc to the back box is required, however, years ago, the NIC inspector around my parts knocked you down a grade in your inspection if he found you not earthing back boxes, and I assume this is why its still second nature to alot of sparkies these days.

Thanks for that hehe I am an old sparks:)

I appreciate what you say, everyone to their own and how you were taught works until the big red book says no

its good practice to earth backbox what if a diy person changed it to metal socket i know he/she is not supposed to but it will still be safe if he/she connects earths back up.

its good practice to earth backbox what if a diy person changed it to metal socket i know he/she is not supposed to but it will still be safe if he/she connects earths back up.

Why would it make a difference if it was changed to a metal socket, the question relates to earthing the backbox not the faceplate

Reply to Bonding flush metal ko boxes + plastic sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net