Discuss Bonding gas/water yellow and blue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is up to the designer to decide what level of safety is required for the installation and so then specify the required level of resistance that is acceptable to determine the identification of extraneous conductive parts.
Generally 10mA is used because it is a catch all situation, not too bad not perfect.
If you have lots of large animals then less than 2mA may be the best approach, if there is minimal chance of any accidental contact and everyone in the area is adult then 30mA may be suitable.

I was thinking that might be in an industrial or commercial setting, but then the chance of accidental contact would probably be greater.

Yes it is, I forgotten you'd posted that. The two articles appear to be by the same author.

However, the one I posted has one difference, the example.

It suggests 'Based on the risk presented by the particular installation conditions, the relevant values for IB & ZTL, should be chosen from DD IEC/TS 60479-1', which as I haven't a copy, I guess are the figures given in GN8 6.1?

It then go's on to calculate RCP 'based on the 30mA (RCD)' for IB.

If you have a read, and see what you think.

Last edited:
As I read it, it’s not stating that a 30mA RCD has to be present, just that they are using the value of 30mA.
Here’s a graph based on the info from DD IEC/TS 60479-1:
Bonding gas/water yellow and blue F401AB65-451B-4748-B135-25659EA6914A - EletriciansForums.net
AC-1: imperceptible
AC-2: perceptible but no muscle reaction
AC-3: muscle contraction with reversible effects
AC-4: possible irreversible effects
AC-4.1: up to 5% probability of heart fibrillation
AC-4.2: 5-50% probability of fibrillation
AC-4.3: over 50% probability of fibrillation

I did see that web page when I googled it this morning, but thanks for taking the time to post it.

Think I'll stick with the value given in GN8 6.1, got it in black & white (and I'm not paying $310 for DD IEC/TS 60479-1 either!).

Think GN8 is erring on the side of caution, but if I am subjected to litigation, I got a simple book I can produce in Court :)

re spinlondon's post:

The other problem is that the minimum CSA for an Earth conductor buried in the ground and not protected against corrosion by a sheath is 25mm2, 16mm2 if protected.

sureley that's for an earthing conductor, as in connected to a rod., not for a bonding conductor?
Where a protective conductor is buried in the ground, the Regulation for buried earthing conductors also applies.

Reply to Bonding gas/water yellow and blue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock