• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Bonding of conduit in kitchen floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Bit of a debate today, advice please as regs book not possible to get in my hands until tomorrow. New job, apartments, in the kitchen there are 2 x 25mm conduits from an external wall to an island within the kitchen that is free standing, to be able to get the hob supply across and lighting with a spare in case any sockets are added at a later date. My question is, do these require bonding? Thanks in advance.

If they are in good contact with earth(generally below the foundations) and meet the definition of an extraneous conductive part then They will require protective bonding to the MET

Bit of a debate today, advice please as regs book not possible to get in my hands until tomorrow. New job, apartments, in the kitchen there are 2 x 25mm conduits from an external wall to an island within the kitchen that is free standing, to be able to get the hob supply across and lighting with a spare in case any sockets are added at a later date. My question is, do these require bonding? Thanks in advance.
Have you tested the conduits to see if they are extraneous?

If the cable installed inside the conduit is insulated and sheathed such as twin&earth , then does it still need to be earthed as you effectively have double insulation unlike singles?

Insulated and sheathed is not the same as double insulation.
No it’s not but do you see were I’m coming from?
The added protection you have with twin & earth is it necessarily needed to earth the conduit?
Perhaps if buried in the floor against impact yes but otherwise I’m not convinced.
Open to discussion

Try regulation 412.1.1 double or reinforced insulation
Basic protection and fault protection are provided by reinforced insulation between live parts and accessible parts.
Regulation 412.2.

Singles don’t have reinforced insulation so understandably need containment as per regulation 521.10.1,where as twin and earth does, so I’d say it’s not necessarily a requirement to Earth the conduit if metal containing insulated and sheathed cables

Last edited:

Reply to Bonding of conduit in kitchen floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back