Discuss bonding thoughts with a sure stop remote tap fitted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

multimick

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi all terrace house lead water incomer with old stop cock which i assume is redundant as plumber has fitted a surestop stop tap the one which works by air pressure switch,,i put the main bond on incomer before sure stop (only about 2 foot of pipe) he swopped it to after the sure stop tap,,wondering whether to put a link between them to cover all bases ?

hi all terrace house lead water incomer with old stop cock which i assume is redundant as plumber has fitted a surestop stop tap the one which works by air pressure switch,,i put the main bond on incomer before sure stop (only about 2 foot of pipe) he swopped it to after the sure stop tap,,wondering whether to put a link between them to cover all bases ?
What reason did wetpants give for moving the bond?

The sure stop will be plastic so in theory would insulate the house from any incoming portental.

With putting it after the sure stop then the bond will be on the house side and should any potential come into the property through the water then the bonding will bring the potential down to the same

Where you put the bond it would have been just protecting the the 2 foot bit of pipe

Put a link Earth between the 2 bits of pipe across the sure stop to ensure continuity

But under the 18th surely this plastic sure-stop device is an 'insulating section' and therefore negates the need for a main water bond for the pipework within the property ?

But under the 18th surely this plastic sure-stop device is an 'insulating section' and therefore negates the need for a main water bond for the pipework within the property ?

Yes it is but as the bond is already there in situs then I don’t see the point in disconnecting it and cutting it off.

If there are bonds available I would leave them as is but if it’s a brand new installation then I would have the insulating bit put in the Pipework.

The worrying thing about this is if a plastic insulating piece is put in so that the equopotental bond doesn’t need to be installed then some time in the future some wet pants rips it out and installs copper then the earth path is restored without a earth bond. It’s hard enough to get them to install the earth bond back onto the pipe once they have done some alterations.

Yes it is but as the bond is already there in situs then I don’t see the point in disconnecting it and cutting it off.

If there are bonds available I would leave them as is but if it’s a brand new installation then I would have the insulating bit put in the Pipework.

The worrying thing about this is if a plastic insulating piece is put in so that the equopotental bond doesn’t need to be installed then some time in the future some wet pants rips it out and installs copper then the earth path is restored without a earth bond. It’s hard enough to get them to install the earth bond back onto the pipe once they have done some alterations.
The new guidance will most likely apply to plastic incoming pipes, which will be the norm in most houses built since the eighties. Where a metallic service comes in I think there will be few instances here the no bond reg will apply, as unless the insulating section is right at the point of entry there will most likely be a substantial section of extraneous metal pipe

problem here was altough it was only 2 foot long it had an old stoptap attached which although it didnt work ,the joiner had cut a big hole in back off cabinet to accomodate it,so accesible to occupiers

Reply to bonding thoughts with a sure stop remote tap fitted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net