Discuss Bonding to Data Cabintet in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening Folks.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any regs that define what bonding is required to a data cabinet?

The cables will be CAT 6 and the supply for the switch will be a dedicated circuit socket. I am coming down on the side of 4mm2 as I assume it needs a supplementary bond only?

Regards

As its likely to introduce a potential?

In fairness I am coming from a point of view of no real experience. I have often seen bonding to cabinets and they have often been 10mm2, but as stated i cannot see any solid information in the regs

Evening Folks.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any regs that define what bonding is required to a data cabinet?

The cables will be CAT 6 and the supply for the switch will be a dedicated circuit socket. I am coming down on the side of 4mm2 as I assume it needs a supplementary bond only?

Regards
It may require earthing but I doubt bonding. If you install a seperate green and yellow then 2.5mm is the minimum CSA if mechanically protected and 4mm if not. You will not find any regulations specifically stating about earthing or bonding data cabinets.

Fit a PDU panel for the power which will earth the rack, some come with an earth fly lead.

Its a wall cabinet that is installed in a steel framed building fed by a TT. It isn't extraneous per say.

It is a small private building owned by a school

is the cabinet bolted to the steel structure?

It may require earthing but I doubt bonding. If you install a seperate green and yellow then 2.5mm is the minimum CSA if mechanically protected and 4mm if not. You will not find any regulations specifically stating about earthing or bonding data cabinets.
Can I ask if i just go with a 4mm bond, can that be a fly lead from the socket or will it go back to the MET?

I have done this for a data company who specified a 4mm supplementary bond to the metal cabinet.
There's maybe an argument of is it really a requirement but they insisted.
I supplementary bonded it from the supply circuit that fed the cabinet

Just trying to understand :)
The supplementary bonding conductors link the extraneous conductive, exposed conductive parts and cpc in the room with the aim to establish an equipotential zone and reduce touch voltages during a fault. I'm not sure what the other parts are that will be linked by the proposed 4mm? (there's just a rack). Given the steel framed wall RCD to be used so any fault cleared pdq?

Just trying to understand :)
The supplementary bonding conductors link the extraneous conductive, exposed conductive parts and cpc in the room with the aim to establish an equipotential zone and reduce touch voltages during a fault. I'm not sure what the other parts are that will be linked by the proposed 4mm? (there's just a rack). Given the steel framed wall RCD to be used so any fault cleared pdq?
perhaps we should use the term connecting it to earth as we would an exposed conductive part (not convinced that a cabinet is this)rather than the term supplementary bonding.

I have done this for a data company who specified a 4mm supplementary bond to the metal cabinet.
There's maybe an argument of is it really a requirement but they insisted.
I supplementary bonded it from the supply circuit that fed the cabinet

How did you earth the detachable side panels, if it had any.

Rather strange, the avatar you two chaps (# 14 &15) use, are strikingly similar. You seem to argue a lot, are you actually the same person with a bipolar disorder :eek:

Reply to Bonding to Data Cabintet in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net