Discuss Bonding to gas and 544.1.2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regarding points 1,2 and 3. (Which you have separated and quoted simultaneously so I will answer all 3 with a single reply .
I never said it was an R2 test did i?
R2 was mentioned as it is going to be more practical and convenient for the verification of the main bond in the future,and when installing equipment you should do so with due consideration for the cost,maintenance and convenience of the client. Therefore bond it inside and yes it definitely does make a difference if it's in or out. Installation work is primarily for safety and convenience and you should bear this in mind at all times.
Really?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What if the gas pipe is inaccessible for most part inside the building but readily accessible at point of entry outside but within the gas meter enclosure? I have come across this situation many times. For me the obvious and most convenient answer, in these situations, is to bond at external point of entry.
You would just use your common sense as you would in any other scenario.
The instances where it is easier to bond outside are the exception to the rule

With the vast majority of new builds with meter boxes or enclosures (circa 1970's) installed on the outside, the only practicable way is in the box itself. Is that inside or outside?

If you find it hard to accept that it's easier,cheaper and more convenient to bond inside then you haven't ho
With the vast majority of new builds with meter boxes or enclosures (circa 1970's) installed on the outside, the only practicable way is in the box itself. Is that inside or outside?
The gas pipe that is outside in the meter box has got to enter the property at some point so the most practical position to bond the pipe would be on the inside of the property 'at the point of entry'. How the hell is drilling a hole and going outside to install the clamp 'the only practicable way'??? How is a job that takes longer preferable to a quicker method? (Unless you are on dayrate)

The gas pipe that is outside in the meter box has got to enter the property at some point so the most practical position to bond the pipe would be on the inside of the property 'at the point of entry'. How the hell is drilling a hole and going outside to install the clamp 'the only practicable way'??? How is a job that takes longer preferable to a quicker method? (Unless you are on dayrate)

Like a lot of properties in such situ's the gas pipe is not always accessible on t'other side of the wall where the meter is mounted. Can't really see how either way would take any longer or would be quicker.

In any case, these two chaps agree with me;

2691112.png
:)

Like a lot of properties in such situ's the gas pipe is not always accessible on t'other side of the wall where the meter is mounted. Can't really see how either way would take any longer or would be quicker.
Inside is nearer to the consumer unit and you can't see how it makes any difference to use less cable instead of using more cable? Seriously???

Personally I think it is outside. Not really sure how anybody could say any different.

Gas meters are like all electric meters ,mounted in an external meter box on new builds (that I work on)
If you didn’t connect it to the pipe in the box the only other practical place is the boiler as the pipework entering the dwelling is buried in the wall unless the meter box is on the outside garage wall and is visible in the garage. Boilers are usually if not in a utility then in the kitchen.
Nobody wants to see a green and yellow wire underneath the boiler onto the Pipework as it will look hideous.
Therfore it is bonded at the meter which is perfectly acceptable

Reply to Bonding to gas and 544.1.2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net