Discuss Bonding to gas and 544.1.2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is that the Midwest electrical services uniform fashioned by the underlings? Any chance of a photo with @Midwest in his skinny jeans and blue T?
In any case, these two chaps agree with me;

2691112.png
:)

The requirement is to bond extraneous conductive-parts.
Plastic is non-conductive, so doesn’t require bonding.
Metallic pipework inside the building is not extraneous, so also doesn’t require bonding.
When you look up the definition of extraneous conductive-part, it says something about not being a part of the electrical installation which may introduce a potential (might be introduce a difference in potential).
Determination of whether the pipework introduces a potential (or a difference in potential) would indicate whether it requires bonding.

I’m pretty certain this has been covered a number of times.

Use an IR tester to determine whether there is any continuity between the installation earth and the pipework and use a low ohm meter to determine whether any continuity found is reliable.

Below 0.05 ohms is considered reliably connected and doesn’t require bonding.

Anything between 0.05 ohms and 23 kohms would be considered as being in contact with earth, though there are different opinions regarding the higher end as to whether it would require bonding.

22k ohms, 1667 ohms or 667 ohms, all dependant on the resistance of an average human body (1 kohm) and the 50v considered as being safe.

Hi Spin, I realise all what you have said and agree.
Maybe I should have said if the actual gas installation is ALL metallic in nature with just the extraneously fed part being plastic. With reference to the above I just seem to recall that in that instance, and specific to gas only, that it should still be bonded. The logic behind it is, I presume, that gas appliances are more likely to have parallel paths through appliances - hobs, fires etc.
Maybe I misread a reg ages ago, and TBH I have only happened across a plastic gas feed on a few occasions. But they are obviously going to get more and more common as time goes on.
I'm going to have to get my regs book out now (on a Friday night!) to see if I can find what I read.

Why dont gas regs just get rid of the metal sleeve that surround the yelow plastic pipe inside to the outdide meter then making the gas service non extraneous.
I find it much easier bonding to boiler its easy to find the bond and the pipes are all crossbonded via the pipe connection plate which is handy imo.

In the recent NICEIC cinema show there was a part on highlighting how difficult (near on impossible) and time consuming it would be to isolate sections of pipe work (water or gas) to obtain a continuity reading to check whether they were extraneous or not in their own right. Or did I dream that bit as I was a sleep? My point is that it is fairly difficult to see whether one service is extraneous in its own right or is picking up a connection to earth via another service, water from gas or vice versa, I think their point was it would be easier to bond both if this situation arose irrespective of the plastic feed from one service.

Reply to Bonding to gas and 544.1.2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net