Discuss Bonding TV ariels & amps in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jibjob

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asked by a TV ariel installation company to quote for bonding a soon to be installed TV ariel and amplifier. The service will be shared by a number of flats in the same buliding. Can't find anything in the BRB regarding the regs on this.
Can anyone help/enlighten?:)

Never heard of this before,the only thing I can think is that the leads from a common ariel might introduce an earth potential into each flat,so in theory the braid of each lead might require main bonding where it enters the flat!!......Impractical and I've never heard of such a thing being done before.....perhaps you should contact the company and enquire what their reasons are for asking for bonding??

Perhaps it is to dissipate a static charge? I don't think it's a requirement in the regs but it's certainly not a bad idea.

Remember, if it's a PME system then it will need a seperate earth rod.

Just spoke to installer. He says it's a requirement in communal dwellings where the ariel and amp are used by multiple occupants. This protects each one should a fault occur with anothers equipment. It needs to be a clean earth so would need to go back to the MET or other direct route. He suggested I take a look at Confederation of Aerial Industries - find aerial and satellite installers (Confederation of Aerial Industries Limited) for further info.
Seperate earth rod if PME? Not sure if I understand why, would the receiving equipment be considered outside the equipotential zone?

I was just assuming that the aerial will be mounted outside the equipotential zone.

I've not been asked to do anything like that before with regard to earthing aerials but I can definitely see the issue.

I was running in supplies for blocks of flats communal aerials and they did specify a 4mm2 clean earth to be run as well.

Because you would be taking the PME outside of the equipotential zone. You would need electricity board permission and in my experience they are reluctant to give you an answer.

the airel is not going to introduce another earth potential to the installation. plus you do not need board permission to export a PME earth. they prefer it if you dont but it is simply up to yourself.

the airel is not going to introduce another earth potential to the installation. plus you do not need board permission to export a PME earth. they prefer it if you dont but it is simply up to yourself.

I was told something completely different by my NICEIC inspector. He pulled me on a garage/studio conversion that I installed a few years ago and said that I should have installed a seperate earth rod. He wasn't impressed either....

I think basically it is to stop any voltage appearing on the cables, or more to the point, the exposed parts of any equipment they are connected to.

Quote:

"In essence an aerial system cannot be left so that any hazardous voltage can be present on the outer conductor of any cable or accessible metalwork of any equipment. This means that we need to equipotentially bond all communal systems within blocks of flats, apartments, offices etc to the MET of the building. In order to do this a verified, continuous and robust connection needs to be provided from the distribution equipment to the building’s MET. Our regulations state that the minimum CSA of this connection should be 4mm2 copper.

In addition class II electronic equipment (televisions, DVD recorders, set top boxes, audio equipment – including AV amps, etc) is designed in such a way that a touch current of up to 0.5mA could be present on any exposed metalwork. Whilst as a single item this is not a problem the guaranteed safe let-go current for the population is 3.5mA. Hence joining 7 pieces of this type of equipment together (either via aerial or SCART leads etc), even in different rooms, could put a touch current of this amount on the coaxial cable. On new builds and when doing rewires it would therefore be useful to leave a verified earth cable next to the distribution point to take care of this possible hazard. This even applies in a single household."

Borrowed from here:

Downloads - Electricians - Aerial systems for a digital age

the tv amp will be in roofspace of building or hallway cupboard.this is not outside of building.take a 4mm or 6mm from landlords supply and this is fine.this reg only apply,s to communial ariel.s

Perhaps it is to dissipate a static charge? I don't think it's a requirement in the regs but it's certainly not a bad idea.

Remember, if it's a PME system then it will need a seperate earth rod.

The bonding should be taken back to the pme...the purpose of main bonding is to ensure there can be no potential difference between conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts....introducing another earth potential via a rod would totally defeat the object of the excercise.

I was told something completely different by my NICEIC inspector. He pulled me on a garage/studio conversion that I installed a few years ago and said that I should have installed a seperate earth rod. He wasn't impressed either....

I'm afraid your NIC inspector was talking out of his posterior........Next time you see him ask him to point out the regulation to back up his nonsense.

The bonding should be taken back to the pme...the purpose of main bonding is to ensure there can be no potential difference between conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts....introducing another earth potential via a rod would totally defeat the object of the excercise.

that is the point i was trying to make. people blindly go around banging in spikes because they see PME.

Reply to Bonding TV ariels & amps in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock