Discuss Borrowed Neutral across Lighting Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spunkywads26

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I've go a situation where a property has 3 lighting circuits:

• Downstairs Ltg
  • Upstairs Ltg
  • Rear Downstairs Extension
I've discovered that the landing light is fed via the ground floor lighting circuit but has a borrowed neutral from the upstairs circuit. I wanted to separate these on the split load board but can't in the current setup.

Question is can I leave them on the same side of the board or is there a quick solution to this that I can't think about right now.

to be right you should either fix the problem ( 3 core and E usually + redecoration) or put both on same MCB, which defeats the object of circuit division.

As above you need to reconnect so line and neutral is from upstairs then a three core downstairs for the two way, done quite a few and you may be lucky to pull them down the old capping.

As Murdocks post and tels,if to rewire the 2 way is not an option
To have them on the same side of the board but separate mcbs , the borrowed neutral still exists and could be a shock hazard for future alterations/works.

My preference where correcting is not an option and if the CU allows is RCBO as @Murdoch suggests. Failing that both lighting circuits on one MCB, not ideal, I have done this a few times and made notes on the certificates and left a little sticker in the CU with notice alerting people to this alteration.

I have a similar problem to sort following an EICR where the landing light is fed from downstairs, neutral from upstairs. Neither on RCD and no supplementary bonding in (upstairs) bathroom, so am moving upstairs lights to RCD side of board. Not enough existing wires to solve properly without chasing (link wire from hallway light to downstairs landing light switch, T&E for the strappers to upstairs switch, then 1C&E to light, then pick up N from upstairs circuit).

My solution (suggested to client but not yet implemented) is to install a remote Quinetic kinetic 2-way switch system. There's already permanent L and N in the (accessible) loft space for the controller near the landing light as it's all 3-plate. A couple of remote switches, hopefully it'll go alright. And no chasing. :)

@happysteve let us know how you get on with the Quinetic kit, i saw that recently on display at a tradeshow. Seemed quite affordable to solve the borrowed neutral problem on landing lights. Would save chasing and making good. appears quick to install too.

Reply to Borrowed Neutral across Lighting Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net