Discuss Bosch GMS 120- or similar in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

All

I need to invest in a cable/pipe/joist detector - thinking about the Bosch GMS120 - do any of you have any thoughts on this bit of kit? I don't mind paying a bit more for a good one!

Thanks

The Bosch GMS120 Wallscanner is the daddy and a gadget nerds nirvana. I played with one ELEX it's the dogs bits, like hand held penetrating radar, but the cost is hard to justify. Plus it will be high on the "tealeaf's" target list.
If you want something that works, but much cheaper, get a Bosch DMF 10 it works very well and excellent value second-hand from fleabay (£20). Just make sure you get the professional blue model (DMF 10 zoom) not the similar looking but poor performing DIY green model (?).

Last edited by a moderator:
A very old post.. I know, I have just got a brand new one of these bosch detectors.. The first thing I generally do is try it out above my light switches in home.. Managed to get it to find one out of four cable drops to light switches.. I've had 5 different cable detectors over the years. This seems no better than the cheap ones that don't work...

Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong... Surely there's one decent cable locator on the planet?

A very old post.. I know, I have just got a brand new one of these bosch detectors.. The first thing I generally do is try it out above my light switches in home.. Managed to get it to find one out of four cable drops to light switches.. I've had 5 different cable detectors over the years. This seems no better than the cheap ones that don't work...

Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong... Surely there's one decent cable locator on the planet?

I bought 1 last year at Elex. On the demo stand it worked brilliantly - BUT in real life its rubbish!

I don't get it... Why are they working so well in demo's, in real life there crap! Do you think it's something to do with the metal sheathing in front of the cable... Different depths of plaster? Lighting in old conduit drops?

Why are detectors over £100 no better than ones less than £20.. It's a joke

well, for what it's worth, i've got the bosch DMO10E and it's brill. detects metal, live cables and even live cables in steel conduit. up to 40mm deep.

I tend to find that any of the 'sensing' devices seem to deteriorate after a while - also got a Bosch studfinder (can't remember which one) and when new it was brilliant, now it just doesn't seem to be up to much, and likewise my DiLog cable tracer/scanner was the dogs doodahs when it came out of the box, but now seems to be increasingly hit and miss. I look after my gear and it doesn't get thrown around, so not sure of what's going on.

Reply to Bosch GMS 120- or similar in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net