Discuss Breaker Coordination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The trip ratings of upstream and downstream circuit breakers should be same as I was told by a senior. Why cant the downstream circuit breaker be rated less than the upstream breakers. I'm not talking about the short circuit ratings, but the Ampere trip rating.

I haven't got a clue what this senior figure is on about, the fact you have to try to achieve short circuit discrimination against upstream devices automatically means that the upstream device will be rated much higher, it sounds like they haven't a clue what they are talking about.

If you can achieve full discrimination then a supply to a standard mcb board would usually require a 160amp rating to achieve this, running the same size ratings whether the trip curve is different or not will not achieve this in any way.

I will just add a note here as I just realised you are from Saudi Arabia...

Please note that the forum is based around the BS 7671 and other British Standards so our replies may not reflect local regulations if you are not UK based.
Having said this, discrimination works the same regardless of borders, how each country regulates to account for discrimination and what is required is up to them though, if you are confused or concerned by the information given to you then you should seek relevant information/regulations for your country.

Reply to Breaker Coordination in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Can 50A B type circuit breaker be coordinated with upstream 50A C type circuit breaker to trip earlier on shorts and current overloads?
Replies
Views
My circuit panel has two banks of breakers, each bank protected by an RCD. One of these RCDs has been problematic in that it trips intermitantly...
Replies
Views
Hi all. We have a 120v 20 amp circuit to an accessory dwelling with a run of about 75' of direct bury #12. The breaker keeps tripping even when...
Replies
Views
Our home is about 40 years old and equipped with original two Federal Pacific breaker boxes. Until now we have never had any problems. A 30 AMP...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am a homeowner (but not an electrician) and I am renovating a house that has an old CU containing MCBs and an MK LN5725 residual...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock