Discuss Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In my new job I have been given training in pulling the main bullet. Never in all my years have I ever been so ---- scared after seeing the consequences (photos and personal testimony). The electrical explosion that occurs on short circuit on a faulty service head is simply something that I would never want to experience, even with full PPE.

I think we need to be factoring in a DNO callout to at least provide safe isolation, but preferably examination of and fitting of an isolator, in our prices.

should i be laughing so much at this thread, does that make me a sad person

No not at all LOL, but considering the OP is getting building control involved, advising him to cut the seals is like sticking a one legged man into an --- kicking contest haha

Its also highly unlikely that anything will ever come of it, if you do pull it out and put it back as most people do, but its more the fact that it might break or not come out nicely when you do that puts me off. Oh and dont forget to put a protective thing in the slot to prevent accidentle contact. Not sure where you buy the red thing from though.
Talking from experience are we? Advising those less experienced. Advice coming your way....look left, look right, look left again and put the tin hat on.

There really is a lot of talking bull ox here sometimes, the question is this, are you a "competent person" If so, you are going to a customers house to replace a consumer unit, to do that without isolating the supply presents a real danger to yourself, and to the customer. It is therefore your duty to isolate the supply by whatever means available in order to work safely. If that means removing the cutout fuse, remove it. One proviso here, and it has been discussed in other threads, I would be wary of touching some of the older cast iron/porcelain fuse set ups unless they are in top nick! IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO REMOVE THE FUSE! there, I've said it. We used to quote the "electricity supply act 1921" In case of danger any competent person may remove the cutout fuse in order to render the installation safe. What you gonna do if you walk through the door and there is magic smoke escaping from the meter/consumer unit/tails etc? In 50 years on the job I have removed thousands, done the necessary work, replaced them, and wound the previously carefully cut seal wire back in position. If you have ever seen a supply authority "engineer" remove a seal with a pair of uninsulated tin snips big enough to cut a transatlantic cable you would realise that all they want is the fastest way out of the door. The seal is there to prevent naughty consumers abstracting un-metered juice (always presuming it is there at all). Competent person means just that. You DO NOT have to be a scam member, but you will be expected to supply LABC (elec) with a completed test cert which you can also do without joining the scams. I have my fireproof underwear on, no pedants need reply. Happy new year to all engineers everywhere, onward and upward lads and lasses!

You can do what you like, just don't expect us to advise a spark who is getting building control in to check his work to cut meter seals, whether it goes on or not is regardless, and I still want to know what a thingy is???

why are threads like this not removed from the site?

Entertainment value
Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock