Discuss Broken 13A Switch Fused Isolator? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
Whilst checking for a tripping RCD I found that a 13A Switch Fused Isolator, for a double socket behind a washing machine and a dryer, was giving various voltage readings when in off position, 240v when on and stayed at 240v when switched off. This video shows the problem:
https://simonlinton-my.sharepoint.c...ZHhRHdXPAkQt8BITPNvp6ot9Wd539vWznp2g?e=BEzIQi

I plan on changing the isolator but, before I do, could it be caused by another fault? Also, how common is it for this type of equipment to fail?
The installation is about 8 years old.

Whilst checking for a tripping RCD I found that a 13A Switch Fused Isolator, for a double socket behind a washing machine and a dryer, was giving various voltage readings when in off position, 240v when on and stayed at 240v when switched off. This video shows the problem:
https://simonlinton-my.sharepoint.c...ZHhRHdXPAkQt8BITPNvp6ot9Wd539vWznp2g?e=BEzIQi

I plan on changing the isolator but, before I do, could it be caused by another fault? Also, how common is it for this type of equipment to fail?
The installation is about 8 years old.
iHad the same many times , duff switch, or is it wired up incorrectly?

I had some FCU’s which DP switches were isolating the neutral and not the live. Whole box were like it.

However, I was getting mains volts reading, you don’t seem to be getting that. Have you measured with an analogue meter?

is the meter reading L-E when FCU is switched off. that could mean that the L contacts are stuck

is the meter reading L-E when FCU is switched off. that could mean that the L contacts are stuck
Tel, The homeowners didn't know this controlled the power to the washing machine and dryer socket and obviously didn't use it much. So. it may mean that the contacts are stuck. Replaced with MK Fused Isolator and all works okay. Kept the broken Click Isolator and will test at home to see if I can replicate the problem. I'll try switching on and off to see if this cures the problem. Then I'll take it to bits. Got a new replacement from CEF and I'll replace it next week.

what is with all them prison pics then .
It might be me but it’s off putting when you can see the face of the poster that you may agree or disagree with.
Prefer to anthropomorphise hence my picture of my cat (-----)!
Obviously no disrespect to anyone using selfies! It me, not you!

Reply to Broken 13A Switch Fused Isolator? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock