Discuss broken core work round, help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geostar1865

Hi gents, advice please
new conversion, in bedroom newly decorated
hi wiring was carried out about 4 years ago but this part of the house has just been finished.
we have two 5A sockets for table lamps either side of where the bed will be.
also have to wire in/connect the wiring for 2-way switching but f
before I did this checked to sockets were working and found not to be, they are switched from the bedroom lights switches (triple switch).
The sockets did not work.
Disconnected wiring and checked continuity, found live (brown) had none, cut back as far as I dare and still no continuity.
Dont want to have to rip off newly installed and varnished skirting or rip up floorboards or walling.
i know it's not good practice, however is it possible to use the neutral as the live feed ( suitably sleeved with the correct colour) and the other earth as the neutral ( again sleeved). Earthing of the two sockets carried out by running a cable from the 5A socket not the earth of an ajecent 13A socket.
The two lamps that will be plugged in will be using 7w or lower led lamps.
Other ideas gladly accepted..

Welcome to the forum Geostar...

What you are proposing is not acceptable and in some fault situations can be dangerous, the only method is to locate and repair the fault or replace, when you say you have multiple sockets then I assume you have correctly identified which leg is faulty, the other 5amp socket cable should be good?

What testing have you carried out to ensure the cable is open circuit and have you checked the cable isn't damaged through testing?

Last edited:
NEVER even think about using the cpc(earth) as a conductor it will end in tears looks like you have a damaged cable (nail or trapped it somewhere) Who knows what other damage there is to the same cable.
I would recomend getting this checked by an electrician He will pinpoint it quicly and minimise the disruption.

Hi thanks for the prompt reply
they are only 2 sockets in this switched circuit
I checked that there was 240v at the switch, but none at the first socket. Disconnected wires and used my multi meter checking cores individually

Guess I'll have too, but in the end well end up just leaving them disconnected as we have just finished this room and the boss will not accept us pulling it to bits

Reply to broken core work round, help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net