Discuss Broken Neutral in Ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have a broken neutral in a socket ring, the customer doesn't want it fixed as he intends to re-wire the property in 18 months time. I have changed the consumer unit. Should I refuse to issue the certificate or put it in the notes. He has energised the circuit despite my advice not to.

What about the neutral fault is it still in circuit.

If you removed the faulty leg then down rating the MCB that would be a satisfactory solution.

If you have replaced the CU and you have a non compliant circuit you can not connect it and put it back in service.

If you left the circuit disconnected and made suitable comments on your cert and the coustomer chose to reconnect himself then there is not a lot you can do. But cover your self by stating circuit ??? Left dicconnected due to open ring fault.

Last edited:
Did you test this first and fit 32A regardless or find the fault because you didn't test it and found the fault after. Either way you should have reduced it to 20A.

Ah you are quite right steveberry,I forgot about the neutral fault, that leg of the circuit needs to be disconnected , by tracing the legs of the ring main to find that leg to disconnect you could make 2 temporary radials and still report that on the cert. By doing this you might with a bit a luck come across the broken neutral anyway.

Reply to Broken Neutral in Ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Hey there, Sorry I’ve just joined up. I’m a qualified electrician/Electrical engineer. Recently sat my 2391-52. My question is I had a fault...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock