Discuss Brush faceplate alternatives in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a Nest outdoor camera. I don't have an outdoor socket so need to run the cable indoors to a wall socket.

The end of the cable has a weatherproof USB plug which is just under an inch in diameter and can't be removed. The cable itself is much narrower.

So basically I need to drill a near 1 inch hole through the wall but don't want a gaping hole around the cable and the wind blowing in. I've seen brush faceplates that might be a tidy solution but wondered if anyone else had a better suggestion?

Thanks

The whole cable from wall plug to the USB end is all constructed as one piece, probably for weatherproofing. It's a bit of an oversight though when you need to install it to an indoor mains socket.

I install quite a few smart cameras, I am a 'nestpro' not that it brings much benefit...
An option is to put a small enclosure up on the wall, you run the nest usb power cable from camera into this, fold up cable and tie with cable tie for neatness. then you can get a little adaptor to take the nest usb adaptor down to micro usb. this is basically a phone charging cable! this then requires a much small hole in the wall, 1cm at most. feed it through and plug into the power adaptor inside.
Nest brand it and make it chunky, when its no more technical than a cheap usb power lead you can pick up online for under a quid. the only awkward bit is getting the cable from camera through the wall, hence this solution.
If you are worried about somebody possibly tampering with the lead in enclosure, just put it high up and also bear in mind its usb powered and you can stop a nestcam with a pair of scissor anyway!

Thanks that's a good option to consider. I'm not worried about them cutting the cable as you get notifications that it has gone offline and unless they parachuted in they wouldn't be able to cut it without being seen.

Thanks that's a good option to consider. I'm not worried about them cutting the cable as you get notifications that it has gone offline and unless they parachuted in they wouldn't be able to cut it without being seen.

They don’t need to cut the cable, the camera relies on your WiFi for everything so they just need to block the WiFi or snip the BT cable out in the street and you’ll have no notifications and no recording of the burglary.

They don’t need to cut the cable, the camera relies on your WiFi for everything so they just need to block the WiFi or snip the BT cable out in the street and you’ll have no notifications and no recording of the burglary.
Im told by a detective in the local plod that its quite common now for some savvy burglars on entry to a property to turn off the electric and/or unplug the router to stop cameras and smart devices alerting people. they have got a bit wiser it seems.

One of my customers asked me to fit one of these the other day interesting reading!:)
I wouldn't recommend nest personally, i dont like the subscription service for storing footage either. A bit like apple with the I-phone they are the 'premium' well known brand but not necessarily the best i would actually go for the Samsung smart cameras, available for less than £140, often on promo for £120 if you look.
Samsung SNH-E6440BN is one I have installed and set up, the customer loves it as it shows good images of her audi on the drive. i find it to be far superior with much better image quality as well.

Reply to Brush faceplate alternatives in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock