Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Brushed Steel Screwless plate - which Brand? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

I have to install roughly 150 points at a large property. The client is style conscious and wants to install Brushed Steel / Chrome / Nickel Flat plate sockets and switches.

Is BG Nexus a good and sturdy brand? Not shoddy quality like LAP which keep falling off / failing. Mainly worked with MK before (Which was initially recommended).

Other option is Heritage Brass but that is just too expensive for the client.

BB8CE7E1-8563-4A81-8FFC-73C2F7C6A25A.png

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i've installed quite a few BG nexus with no problems. even the usb sockets are reliable.not done any screwless ones though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

Thank you... So no complaints.

4. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't fancy doing 150 flat plate points! I hope you have deep back boxes. :bomb:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

Lol no it’s only 50-60. Rest are pendants etc

• Like Like x 1
  6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and flat walls.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

35mm boxes all round then.

8. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I've just fitted over 200 points of BG nexus screwless flat plate on a newbuild. Customer wanted it because of the grey inserts instead of the usual black or white. Found it good to install and also fits on existing 25mm boxes if need be (apart from the USB sockets).

IMG_1307.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. 1Justin

1Justin Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    I always warn customers with existing installations against it. Stiff old cables, too may connections jammed inside boxes and wonky walls don't go with any screwless stuff. Also the wall coverage is often smaller, meaning openings round the edges get revealed.
    Just about OK on new build provided the plasterers to a neat job and you use nice deep boxes for plenty of cable space. Brand-wise, I'd also avoid Varilight. - They seem particularly flimsy in my experience, with very bendy and thin plastic backplates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

Well its a complete rewire ... so hopefully should work.. seems like a crime to suggest Heritage Brass with 4 times the prices ....

11. Leesparkykent

Haven't fitted any brass in years!

12. Lee42

Lee42 Lee

Fitted plenty of the bg nexus flat plate over the years which had the sector branding.
    Not been back to one yet (touch wood)
    Mk is always been my usual choice, but for the price u can't go wrong

13. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

BG Nexus :thumbsup:
    BG Chrome with grey inserts :thumbsup::handok:

Any type of flat plate (BG included) :thumbsdown: :eek: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    Modern Mk accessories :praying::thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 1
  14. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I fitted five customer supplied BG screwless flat plates last Friday. The SOs fitted ok in approx 30mm deep back boxes (25mm plus 5mm of plaster). The FCU was ok too. They also had a double dimmer which was by far the heftiest. Decent quality IMO. And this was on an old install with old walls. Looked ok. She said she paid £65 for a double dimmer, 3xDSSOs and a FCU. Must admit my heart sank when she presented the plates too me! She didn't seem the 'slick and sleek' type to me.
    My choice out of preference would be the Schneider flat plate range. Bit pricey but nice gear.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

Ok all. This is so helpful. I will ask customer to order Schneider 1-2 for comparison. Never done flat plat before. So generally a pain to fit? Do you usually get the finish that the customer must be hoping to get?

16. Leesparkykent

Schneider flat plate is around £17 a socket where BG nexus flat plate is around £7.

17. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Why don't you get the products?

18. NDG Elecs

Just to expand on Lee's post #16....you can get the Schneider screw-visible flat plate version for around eleven squid. They have a nice foam gasket on the rear and look decent. See pic. Doddle to fit, though sometimes you have to push the top and bottom lugs out of the way.

PS. I just aligned the screws for Dave OCD!! ;)

IMG_20171113_214904.jpg

19. NDG Elecs

Finish is as decent as the wall surface to some extent. Generally need deeper back boxes for the screwless defo, although the BG stuff was pretty forgiving. The Schneider screwless are a bit annoying as they have a plastic surround that is a touch prone to movement when fitting. I would say go for either the BG screwless or the Schneider screwy-seeable ones..

20. Jon Lee

Jon Lee EF Member

Ok perfect so I am hearing that BG srewless are not bad quality and for the price they represent good value.....

21. stummish

stummish Electrician's Arms

I've fitted more than my fair share of flat screw less, and I prefer the schneider ultimate range over all others. 35mm back box is a must, as is a decent plasterer. They also seem to do every type accessory you could think of, which some brands don't seem to do.

Never had one fail, build quality is spot on, and the front plate is easily replaced incase customer scratches one, or they redecorate and want a new style.

You get what you pay for, and you pay heavily for schneider, but I think they're worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    A lot will depend upon discount wholesaler can offer.

23. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Schneider Ultimate for me....but pricey. Never needed deep boxes, though.

24. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Did it used to be the GET brand ?.

25. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Yes

26. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

GET, yes.....only thing I don't like are the telephone outlets...absolute rubbish connections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. NDG Elecs

Yeah they are bizarre in my view. The connections felt very very flimsy. I even rang Schneider tech help to be sure it was correct and they were initially adamant it was IDC terms . The blokey had no idea what I was on about and I ended up sending him a photo to show him!! To be fair he got back to me really quick.

But yes, they are terrible terminals. Maybe the worst I have ever seen.

28. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

from personal experience I would not use BG flat plate screwless they are poorly made and flimsy. In all honesty I wouldn't use a single BG product I've had a few problems with different items

29. mydigitalhome

mydigitalhome Regular EF Member

Get Ultimate screwless for me with black insert.