Discuss BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Problem is here you are installing a standard 13A socket outlet which could be used for any purpose.

is this garage separated or else.
Garage is attached to house but with no access from one to the other.

yes, please start from the beginning. like I want to put a charging point .to and from .:confused:
OK, will see if I can describe the situation in a bit more detail. I've been asked to quote for a garage installation (currently no power in garage) among other things. The supply is TN-S. One of things that will be used in the garage is a charger for a hybrid car. The charger has a 13A BS1363 socket, so will draw 13A or less (probably close to 13A). I've no plans to add an earth electrode as system is TN-S and as far as I am aware the car will be charged in doors. I'll be installing a CU in the garage (probably 5 way), 10mm2 (probably SWA) fed from 40A MCB in house CU. The will be a 32A sockets circuit and 6A lighting circuit in garage and a separate 16A/20A circuit for the car charging point as required by 722.311. The door frame is metal so will probably be extraneous and need bonding back to the intake. Think that covers it.

Problem is here you are installing a standard 13A socket outlet which could be used for any purpose.
Yes, and the charger could be plugged into another socket. I follow the EV scene a bit on YouTube and the like and EV drivers plug their cars in everywhere - for example when visiting friends they'll run an extension from their friend's lounge to charge their car. Why wouldn't they? The charger has a standard plug on it! Which puzzles me as to why all these requirements are not on the charger manufacturers! But the scope of Section 722 says any socket intended to be used for charging electric vehicles. All that said I don't say any problem with using the charger point for other purposes?

Maybe so you can plug the kettle in for a brew whilst waiting for the car to charge....
Lol! I'll be marking in 'suitable for electric vehicle charging', so hopefully the car will be plugged into this one and the kettle into one on the main sockets circuit!

I'm sure this one has been debated endlessly on here, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's metal and partly buried in the ground it's 'liable to introduce an earth potential' so needs main bonding.
https://electrical.------.org/media...tdoors-a-supply-to-a-detached-outbuilding.pdf
Already read it, but thanks anyway. I've actually done quite a few garages and sheds, just never a car charger (up until now). I'm sure someone reading this will find the link helpful though!

Reply to BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock