Discuss BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Seriously please do the course first.
I'd certainly be interested in the course if you can post any details?

I do think however that the existence of BS 7671 Section 722 suggests that this will suffice, at least for simple installations, as otherwise EV charging points would just be excluded from the scope and reference made to the code of practice.

If I was doing a Mode 2, 3 or 4 charging points, or frequently being asked to do Mode 1 ones, I'd certainly be buying the CoP and maybe doing the course as well (maybe after making a judgement as to how well I was understanding the CoP).

Seriously please do the course first.
I'd certainly be interested in the course if you can post any details?

I do think however that the existence of BS 7671 Section 722 suggests that this will suffice, at least for simple installations, as otherwise EV charging points would just be excluded from the scope and reference made to the code of practice.

If I was doing a Mode 2, 3 or 4 charging points, or frequently being asked to do Mode 1 ones, I'd certainly be buying the CoP and maybe doing the course as well (maybe after making a judgement as to how well I was understanding the CoP).

got any doc for the courses you could shire like how to do it .cash strapped me thinks .:rolleyes:
More a question of the shear number of courses one could pay for, and worse, schemes one could join. You know there's no end to the people who'll happily take you money to open up a supposed new market. To justify the cost you'd have to specialize and then what happens when gov decides to pay the DNOs to fit charging points for everyone and the rug is pulled from under ones feet. You have to be so careful what you invest in. I (in a way sadly) never got into solar PV installation commercially because I qualified just after the feed in tariff was cut. Lots of people went out of business then, having no doubt invested thousands in training, books, and equipment.

It's a silly situation really. The socket you are installing could have anything plugged into it, and the car charger could be plugged into any socket in the house / garage / anywhere. Any device with a 13A plug should be capable of being used with any 13A socket. If not then problems are going occur at some point.

It's a silly situation really. The socket you are installing could have anything plugged into it, and the car charger could be plugged into any socket in the house / garage / anywhere. Any device with a 13A plug should be capable of being used with any 13A socket. If not then problems are going occur at some point.
Or maybe even any 13A plug or socket should be capable of handling a 13A load. But I suppose that's too much to expect of manufacturers these days :rolleyes:

Or maybe even any 13A plug or socket should be capable of handling a 13A load. But I suppose that's too much to expect of manufacturers these days :rolleyes:
Just imagining telling overseas car makers 'no you can't fit 13A plugs on your chargers as our 13A sockets can't handle 13A'. What a joke.

DNOs fit TN-C-S systems to save money so we have to add earth electrodes.

Charger manufacturer's presumably fit unreliable DC RCDs in the chargers so we have to fit additional ones in the installation.

Socket manufacturers make 13A sockets that can't handle 13A so we have to fit special ones marked 'EV' that don't even seem to be for sale yet.

And then people wonder why a new socket ends up costing £--- or £XXXX.

if you buy the rolec basic charger, that incorporates the socket, it also has the required rcd in it too, cost £88 on midselec for the charger wallpod, rolec are also the most convenient supplier of all the rcds required for ev chargers. yes its rebadged chint, but the quality has improved somewhat the last year or so. the rcds from rolec are about £30

if you buy the rolec basic charger, that incorporates the socket, it also has the required rcd in it too, cost £88 on midselec for the charger wallpod, rolec are also the most convenient supplier of all the rcds required for ev chargers. yes its rebadged chint, but the quality has improved somewhat the last year or so. the rcds from rolec are about £30
Thanks for the useful recommendation!

I do note however that the RCBO fitted in the charger is rated 10A not 13A. Personally I'd feel more inclined to fit Commando sockets if most EV chargers do come with the plugs - cheaper, and would even enable 16A charging. Just a thought.

Thanks for the useful recommendation!

I do note however that the RCBO fitted in the charger is rated 10A not 13A. Personally I'd feel more inclined to fit Commando sockets if most EV chargers do come with the plugs - cheaper, and would even enable 16A charging. Just a thought.
very few ev cars will draw the 13 amp on a standard socket, they detect what it is connected to and will limit the draw, you will be lucky to get above several amps on a standard socket. Hence why the rcd in the basic rolec is a 10 amp job

Reply to BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock