Discuss BS 60898 or BS 60947-2 in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nigel

So how many are aware of the difference between these two Standards?

I had these highlighted to me a few years ago and it was news to me.

The main issue is 60898 MCBs are only suitable for Polution Level 2. Which is basically clean room heated (30 degrees) domestic and office environments.

60947 MCBs are suitable for Polution Level 3 which is installations in unheated rooms, boiler rooms and industrial and farming areas.

These are all written into the Standard so if you are installing 60898 MCBs in to areas of a Polution Level 3 then that circuit breaker is not fit for purpose.

I was aware of the IEC standards of identical designations but didn't know British Standards had adopted them .

Some breakers are suitable for use in both 60898 and 60947 environments but with a derated capacities.

And also a lot of manufacturers have a cross over of standards when they produce devices so you really have to look at their documentation.

Yes Hagar and Eaton will make devices to both Standards so when filling out certs we should be stating 60947 MCBs are installed.

Still a lot of DBs with only 60898s installed.

Need so help please I have a BS 61009 fitted for a EV installation. However I heard that is incorrect as it needs to be a double pole. However its for the installation of a zappi where things change in regards to a RCD /RCBO
I have been told that the BS 61009 would be OK However where does BS 7671 come into play?

You would be best starting a new thread here this one is long dead.

Need so help please I have a BS 61009 fitted for a EV installation. However I heard that is incorrect as it needs to be a double pole. However its for the installation of a zappi where things change in regards to a RCD /RCBO
I have been told that the BS 61009 would be OK However where does BS 7671 come into play?

Reply to BS 60898 or BS 60947-2 in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock