Discuss BS numbers for various RCD's and MCB's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BristolSpark

Hi

I have been trying to find the BS numbers for various breakers, cut outs and MCB's and fuses.

Does anyone know where I could find such a list for use with EIC.

I am only really familiar with BS 60898 and 61009. I have seen BS88 but for the other types and there Ka rating I am unsure.

How do know what type or BS a breaker or isolator is. Let alone an RCD s type. If they are not marked.

ive been looking all over the internet and cant find such a list, it would be good to find one, but i guess over time we will get to know them all :)

BS 3036 Rewireable Fuses
BS 1361 Cartridge Fuses (Consumer Unit Type)
BS 1363 Plug Top Fuses
BS 88 Cartridge Fuses (General purpose)
BS EN 60898 Miniature Circuit Breakers
BS 3871 Miniature Circuit Breaker (Old Style)
BS EN 60947 3 Main Isolators
BS EN 61008 Main RCDs
BS EN 61009 1 RCB0s
BS 7288 RCD Sockets
BS 1363 13A Plug Tops

Hi m8 thanks for the useful reply.

On a distboard single phase domestic, what is the main Cut out BS number and its Ka rating

also on the distboard the main double isolator what BS and Ka rating is that.

Cheers

Buy a copy of the regs, the majority of the BS numbers you need are listed there in one convenient annex..............very handy :D

Hi m8 thanks for the useful reply.

On a distboard single phase domestic, what is the main Cut out BS number and its Ka rating

also on the distboard the main double isolator what BS and Ka rating is that.

Cheers

KA ratings are selected on value of the PFC/PSC at the origin and can be as little as 3, but usually 6 or 10...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a copy of the BRB. But in relation to the question, its hard to relate to a double pole isolator on a consumer unit and tie it to its associated BS number when filling out a test cert, unless you are familiar.

So for the untrained eye or the inexperienced something like what plug444 wrote is handy/er. Naturally you still need to be able to tie the two together.

So regarding the BS numbers for

Main cut normally 63a, 80a or maybe 100a how do you know the BS number for EIC
Double pole isolator on consumer unit usually 100a same applies here.
mcb's are 60898
rcd and rcbo's 61009 and 61008

They say in time it all comes clear. Also when you see an RCD S type what BS is that.

The BRB is awsome and sometimes not easy to navigate.

But everyones input is always sound and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a copy of the BRB. But in relation to the question, its hard to relate to a double pole isolator on a consumer unit and tie it to its associated BS number when filling out a test cert, unless you are familiar.

So for the untrained eye or the inexperienced something like what plug444 wrote is handy/er. Naturally you still need to be able to tie the two together.

mcb's are 60898

They say in time it all comes clear. Also when you see an RCD S type what BS is that.

The 17th course is amazing at revealing the myths of the book. Nothing in it is straight forward as it was written by tech geeks for design geeks, the OSG is basically the dummies guide fro the sparks at the coal face and much easier to read (unfortunately C&G manage to screw up the simplicity). My BRB practically glows in the dark as it has so much highlighter on it, and I can pick out the necessary info quite quikley.......

BS 3036 Rewireable Fuses
BS 1361 Cartridge Fuses (Consumer Unit Type)
BS 1363 Plug Top Fuses
BS 88 Cartridge Fuses (General purpose)
BS EN 60898 Miniature Circuit Breakers
BS 3871 Miniature Circuit Breaker (Old Style)
BS EN 60947 3 Main Isolators
BS EN 61008 Main RCDs
BS EN 61009 1 RCB0s
BS 7288 RCD Sockets
BS 1363 13A Plug Tops
That looks familiar,i'm sure i posted the same thing a few days ago;)

mcb's are 60898

The 17th course is amazing at revealing the myths of the book. Nothing in it is straight forward as it was written by tech geeks for design geeks, the OSG is basically the dummies guide fro the sparks at the coal face and much easier to read (unfortunately C&G manage to screw up the simplicity). My BRB practically glows in the dark as it has so much highlighter on it, and I can pick out the necessary info quite quikley.......

Its now a BGB. Just couldnt resist to point out, i know if it was me someone else would :)

Its now a BGB. Just couldnt resist to point out, i know if it was me someone else would :)

Lol it is now but it was definatly big and red back in 2009 when it was posted :lol:

Reply to BS numbers for various RCD's and MCB's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net