Discuss BS7671 regs book. how to interpret the index??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trainee

Hi, just booked my self in for 17th edition exam at JTL. Before i attend 3 day course, i want to get familiar with the regs book. i need to know how to reference index to actual contents within the book.

for example standby supplies 313.2 sec 551

am i right the the above relates to page 39? - (old red book 08). i dont understand 'sec 551'

can someone explain please.

Thanks.

Also just to give you a heads up on the bgb, anything that's new e.g the 2011 amendments can be seen at a glance at the right hand side of the pages where you'll see vertical lines at the end.

Btw you seem to have been a trainee a long time!

Also just to give you a heads up on the bgb, anything that's new e.g the 2011 amendments can be seen at a glance at the right hand side of the pages where you'll see vertical lines at the end.

Btw you seem to have been a trainee a long time!

lol 2008/9 i passed level 2. sat on my arse for 4 years and decided i need to study to get a decent job. final year before 2330 becomes obsolete so decided to head back to college and progress to level 3.

i thought at the end of level 2 that the course was purely h&s however since i started level 3 i noticed that you have to refer back quite alot. still trying to catch up class mate with my knowledge of the course. passed 301, 302, 303 exams first time round but there still clearly alot i dont know. if only i had some on the job experience. theory one thing but on the job experience counts for alot more. called around many local electrician to get some experience, work for free but non are interested even though i have my own basic tools (screwdrivers, pliers etc), uncalibrated fluke 1653 meter and safe isolation kit. Own car with full clean driving license.

any electrician around derby need a hand i will happily help for FREE for 6 months, even labouring as long as its related to electrical. 07794041466.

Last edited by a moderator:
originally studied level 2 at masons place, derby college. currently studying level 3 at roundhouse, derby college after 4 year break.

is there anything in particular that you can suggest the i revise? past questions? read the book? any tips people.

JTL will loan green 2011 amended regs book.

thanks

The exam questions are in order of the BGB, can't remember how many for each section. Mostly 4 & 5 I think.
If you can get your hands on a previous exam, learn to spot the key word(s) in the question to look up in the index.
Divide your book up with bits of paper, what have you, with the Chapter number on, saves valuable seconds leafing through to find the page.

Apart from all the above, the 17th is a piece of the proverbial, you should be out of the door after half an hour with a >90% mark!

You don't need to do any prep before the Assessment.
The 3 days are more than enough to get familiar with the Reg book and the format of the online assessment.

I did 17th a few weeks ago and had no trouble. I did 16th 20 years ago .

The pass mark is around 60%.

surely if you're studying now...then the 17th will be including in the course? So theres no need to be doing this 17th course...

Maybe wrong, don't understand the education system anymore...to put it bluntly, the whole thing is completley beyond me now!

You don't need to do any prep before the Assessment.
The 3 days are more than enough to get familiar with the Reg book and the format of the online assessment.

I did 17th a few weeks ago and had no trouble. I did 16th 20 years ago .

The pass mark is around 60%.

i tried some questions which i bought of ebay, they werent easy, mind you i was answering them without the book. they needlessly word the simplest question as difficult as possible.

where abouts in midlands are you from?

Hi ask, thanks for all your help.

Managed to pass 17th edition exam with 80% pass mark. I think 80% was about the average pass mark in my class.

Course was over 3 days with the exam on the third day, at Aldercar college, Langley mill (Jtl). our tutor was John Hill if any of you know him. The course cost £300, £50 discount as group of 4 enrolled.

Very intense course. By the time you highlight the page the lecturer moved on 3/4 pages.
I believe the course should be spread out a couple of days. Every day you go home you feel exhausted. No time to revise/practice. Or the exam should be on a separate day. We had full day class and then 2 hour exam.

Yes everyone passed however 1 person had a re-sit.

Structure was fine however I think exam should be on a separate day. Not happy with 80%. 12q incorrect, not good.

So, what do you guys recommend I do know, 17edition and almost level 3 qualified. What route should I go down now?

I was planning to work for free for 6/12 months to gain experience. I have next to nothing practical experience which is why I don't feel confident. Have quite a few tools and multifunction meter but never used them. What do you guys think?

Would an agency take me on? I dont about money, I want to gain experience over next 2 years.

Should I get an ecs card? It's there a test for it?

Reply to BS7671 regs book. how to interpret the index??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net