Discuss bs88 type 2 fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

mcm

-
Reaction score
can anyone tell us the short circuit capacity rating of a bs88 type 2 fuse.

suppliers fuse was recorded on a old test form NAPIT but dont state the short circuit capcity in Ka.

another quick question when calculating prospective fault current can the formular be used on all types of supplys
pfc=230/Ze

To calculate PFC the formula is the highest between
230/Zs at supply as bonding is connected and 230/ Impedance Z between L & N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have a look in the on-site guide, there is a list of main fuse kA ratings, sorry havn't got it in front of me to tell you the page, but it's in there.

in the on-site guide i think it states 50ka for BS88-2.

is this ok to record on test forms as i thought in domestic houses it is 16.5Ka

As far as I understood it BS 88 Parts 2 or 6 is 80KA breaking capacity. BS 1361 type 2 is most common for domestic @ 33 KA. BS1361 type less common is 16.5 KA. I have come across all three in domestic installations. BS88 fuses can be and are used as main fuses in dom inst.

Just got the On Site Guide and it states the following:
BS88-2 50KA at 415v

BS88-6 16.5KA at 240v
80KA at 415v

So is it 16.5 KA as its 240v ???

Sav

which brings me to a question. how can one tell whether the fuse is BS1361 or BS1361/2 when nothing can be read on the fuse itself?

Very good point. Or when it is in an unmarked, sealed carrier? Perhaps when no information is present and the supply company can give you no answers without a ÂŁ100.00 site visit worst case scenario should be adopted i.e. least possible breaking capacity recorded ?

good point. anyone know the capacity of a 4" nail. came across this a few weeks ago at a customer who had been cut off. needless to say, i walked

which brings me to a question. how can one tell whether the fuse is BS1361 or BS1361/2 when nothing can be read on the fuse itself?

I asked exactly the same question of my college lecturer last week, with one such fuse in my hand (who is by the way a long time served industrial spark who has found an easier way to earn a living :cool:)

The answer I got was that it was really irrelevant (domestically speaking) as whether it was a type I or type II, as by putting 16kA, it would more than cover the short circuit capacity that could occur - as the scc is limited well below this by the characterists of the supply transformer.

So 16kA is going on my forms from now on.....:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to bs88 type 2 fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net