Discuss BT Broadband and Network dropping out.. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Over the last couple of days our internet connection and rather bizarrely, the internal connections to al our devices seem to drop out/lock out.

I've been running both the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz wifi and I have just turned off the 5 ghz to see if this helps.

We also have a number of powerline devices.

What I notice, when this happens, is that my laptop, normally connected to the wifi but can also connect via a cable will not operate on either - which points to the BT box.

Anyone else experienced anything similar with their BT system?

Thanks

Hmmmm, we have the new bt hub and not experienced this. I know it's a typical IT guy response but you've tried a hard reset? When we first got the hub the 5ghz played havoc with our chromecast devices so we disabled it and it's been alright since.

Have it all the time with my internet connection. Research I've done suggest lots of possibles. Had BT check the line for noise, who said they found couple of dry joints. Changed all the broadband fllters, disconnect powerline adaptors, hardwire connection to router, disconnect phone chargers etc (when using powerline adaptors), update motherboard bios & network adaptors, firmware update for router. Routing of internal wiring of phone line/broadband. Tried EE tech support, I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me. Sometimes we can months without a dropout, other times have to reboot the router several time a day. I asked some PC techie bloke, and he said it sounded like my router was pants, apparently the ones you get free from your provider are crap. I can't be arsed to get one for myself, cos I see it being a nightmare to set it up with EE tech.
Let us know if you fix it, then I can fix mine!

Last edited:
I can't be arsed to get one for myself, cos I see it being a nightmare to set it up with EE tech.

If you have the access details for your current router you should be able to get all the details you need from that to set up a new one without phoning support

could be a problem with your ping rate, only problem is your provider cant actually fix this without going in to the exchange. They will try and avoid doing that at all costs especially if your not with BT.

Im with PlusNET (BT owned) the wifi signal sucks so I brought some BT 1200 devices

The wifi boost (as my wifi signal cant go up stairs rooms but happy with the hall way) is sitting in the hall way and is now giving a signal on 2.4GHz and the 5GHz range and giving a good speed in the whole house.

I am currently using a Network (via the power lines) also from BT and its doing very well as well.
Not sure if its because its on the same ring, dosnt seem to care about the Main Hub being on a Extention, the socket it might be coming off maybe a spur (i didnt do this wiring, ex army house i think)

BT 11AC Dual Band Wi-Fi Extender (Booster) 1200: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
WIFI BOOSTER

BT 1000Mbps Broadband Extender Flex Kit, Powerline Adapter - Twin pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
POWER LINES

Over the last couple of days our internet connection and rather bizarrely, the internal connections to al our devices seem to drop out/lock out.

I've been running both the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz wifi and I have just turned off the 5 ghz to see if this helps.

We also have a number of powerline devices.

What I notice, when this happens, is that my laptop, normally connected to the wifi but can also connect via a cable will not operate on either - which points to the BT box.

Anyone else experienced anything similar with their BT system?

Thanks

Not BT Virgin is my provider and I have been experiencing drop outs.

Using mobile data I am now fairly sure it's a hub problem

What a pita.

Can I connect a 3rd party router to my bt hub, connected by ethetnet. And then off the bt wireless?

no as it will run through your existing homehub. Just login to your home hub on the net and get all the details, when your better router comes just input the data on it and it will work. Honestly if you can commission a house, this is monkeys work compared.

no as it will run through your existing homehub. Just login to your home hub on the net and get all the details, when your better router comes just input the data on it and it will work. Honestly if you can commission a house, this is monkeys work compared.

Problem with the BT HH5 is that it's a modem and router all in one and as far as I know there is no easy replacement for the bt modem!

Problem with the BT HH5 is that it's a modem and router all in one and as far as I know there is no easy replacement for the bt modem!
it is easy to replace, as long as you get the correct router+modem (most are combined)

most people will need an adsl/adsl2 router

some might need vdsl etc but most newer ones support all standards

A vDSL router is all you need to replace the BT hub

Just spent 40 minutes of my day on tech chat to BT...... they think its a line issue!

Only time will tell......

What type of DSL filter do you have installed some are prone to failing and can cause problems before they do

Reply to BT Broadband and Network dropping out.. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net