Discuss BT Broadband and Network dropping out.. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Update: it's been over 24 hours since I got BT's attention on this and our setup has been nice and stable.

that said I may just invest in the TP Link TD-W9980 as on other forums including the BT forum, this TP unit gets mentioned a lot as being a suitable reliable unit. Often more reliable than the BT HH5!

Update: it's been over 24 hours since I got BT's attention on this and our setup has been nice and stable.

that said I may just invest in the TP Link TD-W9980 as on other forums including the BT forum, this TP unit gets mentioned a lot as being a suitable reliable unit. Often more reliable than the BT HH5!
bt homehubs are cheap ****e.

the old ones were rebranded thompson speedtouch and they were awful always locking up

bt homehubs are cheap ****e.

the old ones were rebranded thompson speedtouch and they were awful always locking up

In our last house we had a BT HH4, which was unreliable, so when one wrong at the weekend and BT said it would be up to 5 days to deliver a new one, and having school age kids in the house and homework to do, I went out and bought a Belkin unit, which never missed a beat once set up.

i have 2 x BT HH 3's in the loft to sell!

Last edited by a moderator:
In our last house we had a BT HH4, which was unreliable, so when one wrong at the weekend and BT said it would be up to 5 days to deliver a new one, and having school age kids in the house and homework to do, I went out and bought a Belkin unit, which never missed a beat once set up.

i have 2 x BT HH4's in the loft to sell!
belkin is a very good brand, not very often you hear any complaints about belkin

belkin is a very good brand, not very often you hear any complaints about belkin

Certainly not from me!

Quite how BT can have such crxp is beyond me. They should save few pounds by testing and approving decent 3rd party products rather than producing in house rubbish

Last edited by a moderator:
My tinterwebs is currently worse than dialup on the rare occasions that it manages to work for more than 30 seconds.

Has been that way since before Christmas.

Apparently it's an issue that is affecting more than one exchange in this area.

This thread will probably be long dead before my reply is uploaded. :D

Sounds like they have reset your connection at the exchange, when you get interference or line problems the equipment throttles the bandwidth until it gets a stable connection this can also happen if your router is frequently power cycled as this changes the dynamic IP address and is seen as a connection problem

Having a chat with my brother who works for BT and speaks to a lot of the engineers, one engineer he was chatting to recently works only on high level faults all over the UK at short notice one fault he was called to recently was affecting BT broadband in one road it was narrowed down to the Christmas lights fixed to the front of one of the houses that was putting out RF interference into the BT network. There was a few other stories where people wouldn't let him into their homes to find the source of interference coming down their telephone line into the network these were elderly people so it's anyone's guess what possibly antiquated equipment was causing the problem

I'm trying to get my brother to find out a bit more info but one of the fault finding tools this engineer uses is a medium wave radio tuned to a certain frequency that picks up the RF interference that causes problems with the broadband signal this sounds like a simple troubleshooting tool

Reply to BT Broadband and Network dropping out.. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net