• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Btec level 3 electrical diploma, what do i need to do to become fully qualified spark in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, need advice

I have a btec level 3 diploma electrical/electronic installation.

What can i do to become a fully qualified commercial electrician.

Its been 3 years since i passed the 2 year course. Will i need to do a city and guilds course or just part p & 17th edition?

Any help thanks

17th edition is stopping this year so do the 18th edition in the summer when exams start.
to be fully qualified electrician you need your level 2 and 3 2365 or eal equivalent, not sure your diploma will suffice,
Then you need to be working to do the nvq level 3 followed by the am2 as the last module, you will also need the 2391 courses now to get your jib card.
its not a quick process but worth it if you stick it out.
The part p is purely a building regs course, i think you mean the domestic installer schemes. with your diploma, do the 17th or 18th edition and you can join. might pay to do a level 2 testing course like the 2392. Then you can notify jobs in the domestic setting.
i have heard about people with far less than your diploma joining the schemes so choice is yours.

Thanks alot, i will look into the 18th edition this summer, the only problem i have is im now 26 and have a mortgage so i will struggle finding a college course if i need to go and do the level 2 & 3 becuase i have a 50 hour a week job. My previous job was a service engineer for 4 years repairing welding machines, doing stuff such as circuit board repairs and single and 3 phase wiring

You do not need the 2391 to achieve a gold jib card.
The minimum standard is the NVQ level 3 for an electricians grade.
Having initial verification and periodic inspection and testing parts of the 2391 will get you the approved electricians grade along with the NVQ 3 having spent 2 years at the electricians grade first.

Reply to Btec level 3 electrical diploma, what do i need to do to become fully qualified spark in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back