Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Btec level 3 electrical diploma, what do i need to do to become fully qualified spark in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sam Huxham

Sam Huxham New EF Member

Hi, need advice

I have a btec level 3 diploma electrical/electronic installation.

What can i do to become a fully qualified commercial electrician.

Its been 3 years since i passed the 2 year course. Will i need to do a city and guilds course or just part p & 17th edition?

Any help thanks

2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    17th edition is stopping this year so do the 18th edition in the summer when exams start.
    to be fully qualified electrician you need your level 2 and 3 2365 or eal equivalent, not sure your diploma will suffice,
    Then you need to be working to do the nvq level 3 followed by the am2 as the last module, you will also need the 2391 courses now to get your jib card.
    its not a quick process but worth it if you stick it out.
    The part p is purely a building regs course, i think you mean the domestic installer schemes. with your diploma, do the 17th or 18th edition and you can join. might pay to do a level 2 testing course like the 2392. Then you can notify jobs in the domestic setting.
    i have heard about people with far less than your diploma joining the schemes so choice is yours.

3. Sam Huxham

Sam Huxham New EF Member

Thanks alot, i will look into the 18th edition this summer, the only problem i have is im now 26 and have a mortgage so i will struggle finding a college course if i need to go and do the level 2 & 3 becuase i have a 50 hour a week job. My previous job was a service engineer for 4 years repairing welding machines, doing stuff such as circuit board repairs and single and 3 phase wiring

4. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

You do not need the 2391 to achieve a gold jib card.
    The minimum standard is the NVQ level 3 for an electricians grade.
    Having initial verification and periodic inspection and testing parts of the 2391 will get you the approved electricians grade along with the NVQ 3 having spent 2 years at the electricians grade first.

• Agree Agree x 1