Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss bugdet multimeter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. big danny

big danny Guest

hi guys,

im looking for advice on a decent quality budget multimeter, obviously you guys are using them all the time so must have an idea of what to look for.

i know the flukes are top notch but im not prepared to pay the astronomical prices for them at this time. nothing over 50 quid. i might come and go a wee bit maybe lol

i found one on fleebay, an amprobe am220 and says made by fluke only 35 quid plus years warranty.

just going to be using it for basic domestic testing as i try to get back into the swing of things.

any advice is appreciated

2. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Definitely get a separate voltage tester. I wouldn't like to think of someone testing for dead with a multimeter. They are pretty cheap for a decent basic one.
    I picked up a multimeter in CEF for about £15 and it does the job when I need it. It has so far survived 4 years rattling round in my toolbox too.

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    looks OK for the price. it will do what most multimeters do, but personally, i would rather spend the money on an approved voltage tester.

4. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Regular EF Member

I wouldn't risk using a cheap multimeter on live circuits ! The leads supplied with budget testers are usually of very poor quality, and are rarely fused . It never pays to buy cheap test equipment - your life could depend on it !

5. Inteificio

Inteificio Guest

I have the fluke and a cheapo clamp tester for £7 from screwfix.

The cheapo does 90% of my testing, unless forms need to be completed, then i use the calibrated fluke.

Multimeters are very cheap equipment to make, most of the money on them is huge profit margin.

If you want nice leads, then buy them separately.

6. The Finch

The Finch Regular EF Member

Get supplied fluke at work but previous I've bought the uni-t range from maplin, just ordered an amprobe meterman off eBay following recommendation on a previous post on here. Always like to have a spare meter in the van... The new avo/megger ones are nice also all depends on how much you want to spend and what you will use it fir

7. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

Amprobe are a good budget choice. Meterman, BEHA/Unitest/Telaris, HEME, LEM/Norma and Robin are all good quality brands that have been incorporated into the Fluke Group either sold under the Fluke or Amprobe banners. Note, BEHA/Unitest/Telaris are also sold by Di-Log Group it's worth checking the comparative prices before purchasing.

8. sjj84

sjj84 Guest

You can get Kewtech multimeters for around that price, I think the model is something like KT16. No idea how good they are, but think they are a reputable brand.

9. pengl

pengl Guest

PCE Germany offers products that you should be fine with. We only had positive experience and no complaints so far.

Can check them out here:

Multimeters

They're offering quite a lot of multimeters from cheap to expensive - depending on what you wanna spend!